Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Already looking to go at it again.

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 8 Replies

My husband and I are just coming up on our finalization of our Lo. She is perfect and everything i could of asked for. We adopted through a agency that was recomended by a friend.

We have both agreed in the future we would adopt once more, but the second time we will adopt through Foster/A child already born, and my husband wants a boy 6-7 and under.

I would like to go ahead and be prepared and get the home work done. SO maybe in a year we will begin looking for a Match.

I have already gone through our County the first time we were adopting. That didnt work out too well. We did the classes ect, and from the beginning said we wanted to Adopt.
When it was time for them to come and do the Home study, the Lady Called and Said, "So you want to adopt and not foster, well our goal is to reunite kids, so we dont need people like you, well will call you back otherwise" Well it has been almost a year since that call.

So the Question is, what are the other ways to adopt children already available to adopt. with out going through your county DEFAX. Are there agencies or something??

~~~~~~~
Find out about our adoption at our Facebook blog.
http://www.facebook.com/MJAdoptionBlog

In 2011 we decided to adopt.
In 2012 we got to take home our Lady Bug
Now in 2013 we will finalize our adoption.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Do you mind letting us know what state you're in? Are you looking at kids in your same state or out-of-state?

Most states have some agencies that facilitate adoption from foster care, but the process can vary somewhat.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mystres
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I am in North GA.

So we did the County Foster/adoption classes thinking we could adopt kids already in the foster system that were available, state doesnt matter, With in distance states, Alabama, FL, Tnn, KY, Indiana ish.

~~~~~~~
Find out about our adoption at our Facebook blog.
http://www.facebook.com/MJAdoptionBlog

In 2011 we decided to adopt.
In 2012 we got to take home our Lady Bug
Now in 2013 we will finalize our adoption.

aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

did you try SWAN? i don't know about them yet but we are going to look into them.

lol i had a good lol on this because we are not even matched for # 2 and are discussing a sib group not over 7 years old on the oldest.. haha also, let me look up who our SW used for signing off on our home study the Agency she works for.. they do older and special need adoptions i think they are an agency i'll check and get back to ya.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

This state website gives a good step-by-step: http://dfcs.dhs.georgia.gov/adopting-georgia

And it looks like Wendy's Wonderful Kids has programs in several places in GA: http://www.davethomasfoundation.org/what-we-do/wendys-wonderful-kids/program-sites/ So they will already have a relationship with a local agency that facilitates foster adoption, if you wanted to start there.

I have heard other people say before that the workers drag their feet in some areas if you are wanting to adopt rather than foster, which just makes no sense to me. Honestly, I would just keep calling up the chain of command until you got someone who could help you understand what it looks like to adopt waiting children from your state's foster care system. But now that it's been so much time since your training, etc, you may just have to start the process over. Very frustrating.

SamsMomSays
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Adoptuskids.org
I don't have personal knowledge, but have heard good things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM

You still have to have an approved home study on file with your state in order to adopt a child from Adopt US Kids... Sounds like the OP's state is giving her the runaround on that.

Quoting SamsMomSays:

Adoptuskids.org
I don't have personal knowledge, but have heard good things.

MamaEngineer
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM

You need to find out if your state has program for families wishing to adopt legally free children in the foster care system. You need to talk to the Adoption Supervisor or Area Supervisor, not a caseworker. We found out last January that our state (WA) no longer works directly with families who want to adopt legally free children. Families have to go through a private agency. You need to verify Georgia has not decided to do this, also.

dbra
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I'm confused, aren't already licensed? If you are, then AdoptUSKids is an excellent resource. If not, they may be able to tell you what you need to do. They are very nice and an excellent resource.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)