Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone went through contested adoption

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hi I'm new and I just decided to adopt my SS I know it will be contested by BM so I'm just looking for some advice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Well some of us who adopted from foster care had BPs who contested the termination... Which would be similar in some ways. And some of the moms did adopt step-children, so you'll probably get a lot of perspectives.

Terminating parental rights is a very difficult process, as well it should be. I'm not saying that in judgement on your situation, because I don't know anything about your SS or his bmom. Just pointing out that TPR means severing all relationship between a parent and child, so there is a very high burden of proof as to why that is necessary. Have you consulted a lawyer? Do you have a sense that you'll have enough legal grounds to move forward?

Welcome to the group, btw. Hopefully you'll find some good advice and support here.

Godlymom87
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Yes I've hired a lawyer I've been with dh for 3yes smom for 2 my SS bio mom has not seen or talked to him in 2yrs but she hates me so ik she will contest it
eoewan
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Sarah is always the voice of reason and good advice. I have nothing to add to what she has already said.

Good luck.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Sounds like you would have grounds to file for TPR on abandonment, but I don't know much about how that legal process works... BUMP for the former stepmoms who have been through this?
HarrisonMD
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Here's one for ya...we are still in the process of adopting our DS and he does live with us, since birth...now the BM has already TPR'd so technically she has no say over anything we do...even the lawyer has said she has no grounds...but a few months ago she made the comment to friends that when the final hearing is set, she is not signing off on the adoption! I was like WTH? Both of our kids are from the same BM, so when we adopted DD, we were in AL and she was living in OH....but this time around we are in the same town, same state...UGH! I don't know whether to let her know when the final hearing is set, just to be polite or just do it and not say anything to her at all...am trying to be nice and include her in things since we have an open adoption arrangement but she is such a pain in my ppppbbbb! She's very immature and I don't want her causing a scene on a happy moment with friends and family! Any thoughts?

Godlymom87
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I can honestly say if she isn't needed there and you don't think she will be civil don't tell her that's just my opinion
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)