Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could he adopt them as well?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

I recently went through the final papers and now both of my girls are adopted by me. I am supposed to get married in September and I wanted to know if my SO could also adopt them.  Kind of how step parents adopt their step kids.  How hard would that be exactly? Has anyone tried that?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Yes, that is definitely possible. Since the adoption is final they are now your girls, the same as if you had given birth to them. So, when you get married your husband should be able to adopt them, just like any step child adoption.

I know there are some moms on here who have been involved in step child adoptions so hopefully one will chime in on the process.

aprilz1225
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:47 AM

not sure how that process works, it goes by state. look up step parent adoption for your state. most times you can fill out all the paperwork and file on your own. not sure if a background check is need for hubby or a home study, but that site should tell you. You could call your county's orphan court at your court house they should be able to point you in the right direction.

SarahSuzyQ
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Agree that it would be the same as a step parent adoption. I wonder if your lawyer would give you the basic info...?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I'd suggest you wait awhile and see how things go. I wish I could have adopted my grandsons alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
7-blessings
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Be careful!!!!!!! If the girls were adopted out of foster care, go back to the agency to help you! A secondary adoption, regardless of the circumstances can negate adoption subsidy and other state agreements. It has to go through the state agency, simple process but make sure everything is protected. It is a matter of a new joint home study, updated local law enforcement checks, background checks and a physical and a new state application, but if a foster care adoption it has to be approved to carry the subsidies over.
SarahSuzyQ
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM
So sorry.

Quoting Bluecalm:

I'd suggest you wait awhile and see how things go. I wish I could have adopted my grandsons alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)