Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Highly upset!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM
  • 12 Replies
So the paralegal goes on vacation and now were just at a stand still the papers to start the adoption process. The papers have been done for almost a month all that needs to be done is to sign them and file them. She's been saying shes waiting on the lawyer to give them to her I really just feel like they are wasting time. I just don't know what to do
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM

i know how you feel. the state social worker who need to do our son's post placement left our packet on her desk for 3 months. it was a nightmare. our attorney had to call a judge to get her in gear! call and speak to the lawyer that is to sign them and say something like "i just wanted to make sure we didn't miss anything on the paperwork becasue we didn't hear anything other wise" may get it noticed.  sorry momma! Maybe call while se is out on vacation the secretary may be able to get things going.

domesticadopt
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I'd suggest calling or emailing the attorney directly and mention your concerns. The attorney may not be aware of what is going on. You retained the lawyer (?) so it's your $ and you deserve to have a voice as well as a fairly speedy process.

Brn2BAMom
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM
I totally feel for you. We had some delays with our social worker and I just had to remember that not everyone works with the speed and efficiency as I do.... But I was very polite and kept checking in. Eventually they will get sick of your calls or emails and just get it done. And you'll still have been nice and gotten to the conclusion you needed.
AllAboutKeeley
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I know exactly what you mean.  Absolutely everything was done on our end with our homestudy in just over three weeks (I was super crazy about getting it done) and, with everything just sitting there together waiting to be approved for us to adopt, it took them over a month to do it.  I was soooo mad about that.  I knew that although the homestudy getting through that final step was a big thing for us, we were just another hopeful adoptive couple in the eyes of the agency and the state.  Good luck!

7-blessings
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM
State agencies are over worked and under paid, that's why we hired a private agency to do our foster care adoptions. Now that I work for the agency we hired after we finalized, I now know that it takes a solid month to get a home study from start to finish barring any hiccups or paperwork delay from the family. The longest piece is always DCF background checks, they are a standard 3 weeks on their own.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM
You're waiting for the attorney to file the petition to adopt with the courts? Is this an attorney you've hired privately, or one that is working for the state?
Godlymom87
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM
I'm so sorry everyone I was so upset I didn't really give a lot of information. It's a step parent adoption I'm adopting my SS. We retained a lawyer right after his birthday which was in the beginning of January, I've called pretty much every other week and its always some excuse oh I just haven't got to them or I'm in the process or I'm waiting on them to be given back to me it's just frustrating!
Godlymom87
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM
I'm so sorry everyone I was so upset I didn't really give a lot of information. It's a step parent adoption I'm adopting my SS. We retained a lawyer right after his birthday which was in the beginning of January, I've called pretty much every other week and its always some excuse oh I just haven't got to them or I'm in the process or I'm waiting on them to be given back to me it's just frustrating!
aprilz1225
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM

some states you can file on your own for stepparent adoption you can get the paperwork online. 

Quoting Godlymom87:

Tresmom10
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Show up in person...ask for a face to face
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN