Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potential Adoptive family

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself.  My husband and I are beginning to start the process of adoption and have attended a few information meetings at local agencies.  We are hoping to adopt an infant, but also plan to become foster parents within the next few years.  We are hoping to adopt an infant before we actually foster children.

I have had a few problems conceiving/ keeping a pregnancy in the past and so the decision to pursue adopting was the next logical step.  We have planned on adopting  since we were married...we'll just start a little earlier than we expected to.  We are so excited about this!

I've been looking into agencies and the process of using an agency just seems so daunting!! :(  I understand all of the details about how they work, but so much is dependent upon people doing their job thoroughly and with the urgency I feel....it seems like I'm not on the same page as the few social workers I've encountered so far.  I would love to do this independently, but lack the resources to do so (most importantly, birthmother/baby).

Anyway, I am in the Houston area...and I will be seeking out advice on types of agencies/ agency reviews/ and other related issues that will come up in the near future.

Amy

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Welcome to the group! 

Depending on other people to do their job is key. Unfortunately, adoption is a lot of hurry up and wait. We, as prospective adoptive parents have an urgency for sure, but the other people have to be methodical in order to be sure an adoption is ethical and legal. It stinks to wait, but it is part of the game. 

We adopted internationally, so we had to wait on many many government workers on the US side and Chinese side. It was a rollercoaster, as all adoption processes are. We learned a lot about patience while on our 2+ year journey to adopt our daughter. 

I hope it goes smoothly for you. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

2Gs
by Wendy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Amy - we are in the same boat.  My five year wedding anniversary is next week and since getting married I have been pregnant 4 times with three miscarriages, one being etopic (twins) and we adopted . Then I had a pregnancy stick and have a biological daughter and now we're circling the foster and foster-to-adopt process. 

My advice to you is to adopt from your same state.  Are you in Texas?  You will save a lot of money by doing that.  And I also encourage you to look for your birthmother along with your agency.  We used www.parentprofiles.com and had several expectant mothers contact us.  Not all states allow advertising but Texas does.  If you go out there now there are about 30 couples waiting and you can see the agencies they are using.  Reach out to some of those couples and ask them how the homestudy process when, how long it took etc.  Most people are eager to talk about their experiences.

Our adoption was quick, easy and ended up costing us nothign out of pocket as my employer picked up the entire tab (tax free).  From the day we met with the agency to the day our daughter was placed in our arms took less than 8 months.  

Feel free to PM with any questions you may have.  Good luck!  And enjoy the journey.  It is exciting!

Tresmom10
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Welcome to the group!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)