Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time adoption-need advice-baby is due next month!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

My cousins friends are having a baby they are placing for adoption. They have already settled on my husband and I. (YEY!) We live in 2 different states though.

Advice needed-what state do I hire a lawyer in-hers or mine?

I know the lawyer will walk me thru the steps and that we need to get a homestudy done. But what else am I needing to do? Does the lawyer take care of all of the paperwork?

The father wants to terminate his rights before the baby is born. Is that helpful?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Kellyjude1
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Our adoption was a private adoption but we were all in the same state.  We did have to get a lawyer of course and the lawyer took care of everything he told us step by step what needed to be done.  We had to have a home inspection just someone from the courts to look at our home.  Medical -a physical was needed.  I would suggest talking to a lawyer in your state just to start and see what they suggest.  I would start this all now as soon as possible especially if the baby is due next month.  Every state differs with laws so I am not sure. If you have any more questions or if I can be of help you can message me.  Wow...how exciting !  

Jordansmommy32
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM
That's tricky. My sons birth parents are in the same area and finally agreeing to terminate their rights we've had soul custody and had to wait a certain amount of time to finalize the adoption.
Anyway my lawyer was in the same area as me we did talk to another and he said it gets difficult doing cases in different counties etc. I would say call one and ask because you definately need an attorney for you.
The birth father wanting to terminate right before the baby is due is great. It helps with the process and you don't have to worry about him. It makes it easier
Congratulations 😃😃😃😃 is this the first adoption for you? I know I was a nervous wreck when we came home with baby boy when he left hospital.
KW1280
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I adopted through DHS so it was easier than a private or agency adoption.
STEP1 LAWYER!!!!!!!!!
the lawyer will lay out a plan and since homestudies can take a while get started now.
Sidenote Do not give any money the birth parents.
Mom2Kyle03
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I did a dual state adoption and you need an attorney in BOTH states, you also need an agency to do your home studies and classes etc. The Father's rights HAVE to be termianted in order for the Mother to put the child up for adoption so if he is WILLING to terminate his rights, it will make the process a little easier in that respect. This is process that could take up to a year so be prepared to be in it for awhile before you are approved to adopt the baby. the birthmother will have to go to counseling or an agency herself depending on the laws of the state. It's a LONG process and even harder when it's dual state. Good luck and feel free to ask me anything, it's been ten years since I adopted my son so things may be different but I will help in any way I can.

in loveGina

takes_a_village
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:11 AM

An adoption between 2 states can be as easy as a home study and an attorney for both sides. The baby is born the papers are signed, notarized and seen by a social worker and there you have it. Or it may be more difficult if there is a long allowance for changing her mind or a requirement for counseling. First get an adoption attorney in your state and ask them what steps are required on your end. Then ask if they can recommend an attorney in the other state so you can figure out what she needs to do. If everyone is on the same page (you and birth family) it is really not all that scary and an agency is almost never required.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)