Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Helps!! Kids with Curly Hair

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

How do you all manage your kids hair? 

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msjoecool
by Crissy on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My three-year-old has curly hair. I don't do anything to manage it. I wash it and let it dry. I don't brush it. It's finally starting to grow.

What do you need help with?
katyjj50
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I've tried several different things in the past but was unhappy with the outcomes. What I do, after washing and rinsing is add a lot of conditioner, let it sit for 5-10 minutes then brush or use a wide tooth comb. After all the  tangles are out gently rise.  After the bath I mix a little water and conditioner in my hands, beginning with the ends smooth it all over their hair, comb one more time while it's very wet still then let dry naturally. No rubbing and no brushing after that.  The next morning I dampen the same way with conditioner and water throughout hair and gently smooth with the side of a brush. This is second day look once dry.

Opie99
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:52 AM
I have curly hair, any questions for me!?!?!

Also there is a site called chocolate hair vanilla care or something close to that. They have lots and lots of info
Allmykids38
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I have two foster daughters with VERY curly hair. One has very tight curls
And the other is very lose and larger curls.
My girls are African-American/Latina so care for their hair is washing once a week in warmer climates and every other week in colder climates. We use an olive oil based shampoo and regular conditioner (what I have on hand!). Rinse well and then I add a leave in conditioner for African-American hair. I style once a week with my daughter with the small and tighter curls. Warmer days I leave down more in a natural state with maybe cute clips in. During colder months when hats are a must... We do braids, beads and corn row styles. We use a daily leave in conditioner we call "Hair pudding!" Which is a natural olive oil base. Smells great and keeps their hair from drying and breaking.
I hae a friend who has a daughter with very curly blonde hair. She is white. She uses coconut oil a few times a week.
adamjackie
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I don't know how to turn the pic from mobile. Her hairdresser said coconut oil. It works great here in Colorado. In Georgia I was using mixed chicks hair line and it worked great there. Here is didn't work the same. Different environments can change how products work is what I have found. 

Aurora122
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM

We used Mixed Chicks Tangle Tamer.

adoption2013
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM

my daughter has very curly hair.  it actually falls in ringlets.  I was her hair and then dump conditioner in it and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing.  I towel dry it and spray it with condtitioner and water mixture  and then comb it with a wide tooth comb.  I then let it air dry.  I was told by the hairdresser to not wash it daily and to not cut it short or it would go frizzy.

ajdoma
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:35 AM

This is my daughter, who is half Haitian and Half Filipino.  She has very nice hair.  She used to fry it every day, straightening it, but now is back to being real nice again.  Washing it a couple times a week is good, although I know she does it more.  The way she did it in the picture was just to wash and condition it, pick it out, and then let it air dry. 

There is a site called Chocolate Hair, Vanilla Care, or something on the order of that, which I know several moms like. I really could have used it when my daughter was younger. My AA son has extremely coarse, tightly coiled hair. If I had a girl with that hair, I would have a lot to learn!
rache71
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I have friends that adopted a beautiful AA baby girl years ago. About a month before they brought her home( she was 4 mo ) new mom (white) went to a local hair place that specialized in AA hair and asked questions and made friends with the women there. She's a pro at braiding and keeping it healthy and beautiful now.
ajdoma
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I think anyone who lives in an area where the AA population is small and there are quite a few adopted kids (like where I live) could make some good money, and be of great service, by learning the different techniques for doing AA hair.  If not for the fact that I am pretty much hopeless when it comes to doing hair, I would look for some kind of course to take!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN