Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax TIME

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

My husband and I are getting things organized.  Receipts, ect....

I am dreading doing our taxes. 

I hope this Adoption Tax Credit goes smoothly

~~~~~~~
Find out about our adoption at our Facebook blog.
http://www.facebook.com/MJAdoptionBlog

In 2011 we decided to adopt.
In 2012 we got to take home our Lady Bug
February 28, 2013 Our Adoption is Officially Finalized.

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mandalyn74
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM

We didn't have any issues with the adoption tax credit.  Our biggest issue was having to get a temporary tax id number issued for our son so we could claim him because he wouldn't get his real social security number until the adoption was final.

Mystres
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Interesting.  All places i have read in the past 3 years of adoption, and talking to Tax Accountants, it all says you can not do the adoption tax credit until your adoption is finalized.

So we were able to but bug on our 2012 taxes as a dependent since she was placed with us in 2012.  We also to do this had to apply for a temporary Tax ID # for a adopted Child, but could not clam the Adoption Tax credit.

Finalized in Feb 2013,  We can now do the Adoption Tax credit on our taxes for 2013.
And now have a SS# for her.

Quoting mandalyn74:

We didn't have any issues with the adoption tax credit.  Our biggest issue was having to get a temporary tax id number issued for our son so we could claim him because he wouldn't get his real social security number until the adoption was final.

~~~~~~~
Find out about our adoption at our Facebook blog.
http://www.facebook.com/MJAdoptionBlog

In 2011 we decided to adopt.
In 2012 we got to take home our Lady Bug
February 28, 2013 Our Adoption is Officially Finalized.

mandalyn74
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I did mean we got the temporary number to claim him on our taxes before it was final, but we didn't take the credit until after.

Quoting Mystres:

My husband and I are getting things organized.  Receipts, ect....

I am dreading doing our taxes. 

I hope this Adoption Tax Credit goes smoothly

Mystres
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Excited yet afraid.  We did our taxes this week and yes it says we get a refund for the first time in years.  

I hope all goes well.  I have read in other places it can take months to get a refund and or audited getting this credit.

MSteele
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM

We just did ours with TurboTax and our refund is scheduled to be in our account by the 11th.  From everything I had read I didn't think we could efile and I thought we'd for sure get audited.  But we efiled and didn't get audited! 

Mystres
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

How long ago did you file??

we used TurboTax also, husband always has.

we did ours Monday night, Tuesday I got the text that our state taxes have been accepted.  Haven't gotten the message that our Federal has been accepted yet.

we are expecting a audit also.  We paid turbo tax the extra 40$ for audit help just in case.

its only been 4 days since we filed but just curious an your time frame

Quoting MSteele:

We just did ours with TurboTax and our refund is scheduled to be in our account by the 11th.  From everything I had read I didn't think we could efile and I thought we'd for sure get audited.  But we efiled and didn't get audited! 

MSteele
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM

We filed on Feb 1st and it was accepted that night.  I've been checking the IRS Where's my refund site every day since and just today it says it was approved and our refund will be deposited by the 11th.  We didn't pay the extra for audit protection because everything I've read about people being audited has just been thm requesting more info like the adoption decree, birth certificate, etc. So, I wasn't too worried.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)