Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need your advice :)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

I was hoping some of you mama's could give me some good advice. Right now, my husband and I have two DD's of our own. We are deciding between having more biological children, or fostering and adopting. We have looked into some open house's in our area (Connecticut) and plan on attending in the next month or so. 

Can I hear some of your stories? How was the process for you? What process did you have to go through? 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Allmykids38
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:53 PM
My DH and I have three bio kids, but almost ten years ago we decided we are done but want to foster. We fostered through an adoption agency for four years. It was easy to love these little ones.... Mainly all newborns straight from the hospital and only 24 hours old.... And then see them go home with their birth mom or placed for adoption with a wonderful adoptive family. But then one day we decided that maybe we were not done and that maybe we needed to do foster care through the county (or the Big Leagues) as I call it. We have now been with the county for almost six years and have had a total of twenty foster children (in the past almos ten years thru agency and county). We are finally at the point of possibly adopting our current two foster daughters. But it has been a long road to get here. We signed up to do both.... Foster and adopt. We know foster families are really needed and we are open to helping out where we are needed. It is a roller coaster of emotions at times, but for us it is very worth it and we love what we are doing.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM

We adopted Internationally. Our dd will be home 7 years in April from China. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Mom2Kyle03
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Just have to say you are AWESOME! :)  Those kids are lucky to have people like you out there.

Quoting Allmykids38: My DH and I have three bio kids, but almost ten years ago we decided we are done but want to foster. We fostered through an adoption agency for four years. It was easy to love these little ones.... Mainly all newborns straight from the hospital and only 24 hours old.... And then see them go home with their birth mom or placed for adoption with a wonderful adoptive family. But then one day we decided that maybe we were not done and that maybe we needed to do foster care through the county (or the Big Leagues) as I call it. We have now been with the county for almost six years and have had a total of twenty foster children (in the past almos ten years thru agency and county). We are finally at the point of possibly adopting our current two foster daughters. But it has been a long road to get here. We signed up to do both.... Foster and adopt. We know foster families are really needed and we are open to helping out where we are needed. It is a roller coaster of emotions at times, but for us it is very worth it and we love what we are doing.

in loveGina

Allmykids38
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Naw.... Just nuts for the kids and what we do to help others.
lovinadoptin
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:48 PM

It's great you're thinking about fostering to adopt. i would make sure and check anything you hear with other sources, I would encourage you not to make a decision on a couple opinions or expereinces. There are some negative exereinces people have with foster care agencies, and some very positive ones. 

We fostered both of our children, and (obviously) adopted them. :) We've been through a lot, as all children who are in foster care have been through trauma, or they wouldn't be there. But despite it all, I would NEVER go back and change my decision, I adore and love both of my kids. Here's a post about HARD being the best thing we've ever done: http://lovinadoptin.com/2013/11/14/hard-is-the-best-thing-ive-ever-done/ 

I encourage you to both be in agreement on going this direction before you do. It's also good if your husband is willing to support you, as it's difficult to do without support. 

There are so many things to say, but I have a website that explains a lot of it, and you can read more of our story there. If you feel pulled to fostering and adopting, I encourage you to look into it, as you are. Best wishes on your journey!

Tracy - www.lovinadoptin.com (At the bottom of the Contents page I have some stories about our kids time in foster care.)

harmony7
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:40 AM

We decided to adopt waiting children lanquishing without homes in foster care...children who were already terminated with no where to go.. So we did the foster process long enough to foster our children until the adoption day. Our boys have been with us for almost four years and are now 13, 15 and 17

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)