Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoptive Moms Adoptive Moms

Foster/ Adopt ???

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM
  • 16 Replies
My husband and I recently moved counties. I contacted a Foster / Adopt agency who says if we have a child safe home (we do) and no criminal history (we don't) we could be ready to Adopt in 3 mo. I feel like they are blowing smoke up our a**. Does anyone here have experience with the Foster / Adopt programs? Our orientation is on May 9th.
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clae82
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
It would depend on the training and how it is set up. My training took three months and my home study took about three months so six months total. However, every area does it differently. I knew someone in the next county over who did the training over the course of a weekend.
maggiemom2000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

It's possible. It depends how they do the training. I know the first place we looked into for training did all of the trainings in a couple of weekends, all day kind of thing. Then the agency we went with did a 9 week training course where you went for a few hours once a week.

Getting through the process was held up for us for a few months because they lost a social worker and it took awhile to get a new one hired and trained. If it had not been for that delay it would have been close to 3 months to complete, 4 at the most.

Hopefulforbaby
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Thank You ladies :) I was told the need for Foster / Adopt parents is great in this county. I just didn't want to get my hopes up but, then again I didn't want to procrastinate if it is possible to be cleared so soon. I was told something else I thought was odd ... The agency said we need to do a separate adoption Home Study through the county office. I thought the Agency took care of all of that. I guess I will find out next week.
Mom2Kyle03
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I am in Illinois and did it 12 years ago. I think the whole process took about 4 months with training, classes, home study etc.

7-blessings
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:12 PM
It depends on what state you are in. Florida is especially tricky. Under administrative code there is no such thing as foster to adopt. We were the last year of them liscensing under such, and we lucked out that our first placement went to adoption and we got to adopt him. We went on to foster 70 more children with out the ability to adopt without going through a private agency. Now I designed an agency to help navigate all avenues of adoption in multiple states and countries. Good luck, om me if you need guidance or direction.
raleyfamily
by Carla on Apr. 28, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Just remember, being ready to adopt and adopting are not the same thing.  You can be ready to start taking children, and it could be a while before you have a child who is adoptable!

Carla Raley, wife of Bill, mom of 12, foster mom of more than 50
Visit my blogs for stories of the life of an older mom raising a large family, foster/adoption and homeschooling
http://raleyfamilysfarm.blogspot.com/

http://bookreviewsbycarla.blogspot.com/

TheMrs.S
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 12:10 PM
We are in California and from the time we started classes to when we got our first girls it took 2 months. Our classes and home study were done at the same time so by the time we finished classes they had finished our home study.
Hopefulforbaby
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:41 AM
TheMrs; we are in Cali also. The last county we were in took 6 months to clear (if you were lucky) the county we are in now is desperate so, I guess that makes a big difference.
Hopefulforbaby
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Quoting raleyfamily:

Just remember, being ready to adopt and adopting are not the same thing.  You can be ready to start taking children, and it could be a while before you have a child who is adoptable!

I understand that. I was just very surprised that we could be cleared so soon. Once everything is set up and the homestudy is complete we just wait, the stressful part will be over ... That is until the court dates start.
raleyfamily
by Carla on Apr. 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Hopefulforbaby:Once everything is set up and the homestudy is complete we just wait, the stressful part will be over ... That is until the court dates start.

As someone who has been a foster mom for most of her adult life to around 60 children, this part made me smile. 

Let me assure you, although I don't want to scare you...right now what you are going through is the EASY part...

Carla Raley, wife of Bill, mom of 12, foster mom of more than 50
Visit my blogs for stories of the life of an older mom raising a large family, foster/adoption and homeschooling
http://raleyfamilysfarm.blogspot.com/

http://bookreviewsbycarla.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)