Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best Age Group/ Gender to foster

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:05 PM
  • 2 Replies
Hello,
Im the adoptive mom to one nearly 7 year old boy. He's been with us for awhile and in the past my husband and I have talked about potentially becoming foster parents one day.
My son tends to get along better with girls than boys, however my husband and I would be open to possibly adopting a boy a few years younger than my son one day.
My son prior to us adopting him lived in a foster home with 3 older girls and 2 boys closer to his age, he loved the girls but fought a lot with the other boys.
So my husband and I are at a loss as too what would be an appropriate age group/ gender for us.
Our only worry with potentially older girls is if they act out sexually towards my son or something similar, I've heard some stories that make me nervous.
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
awalter01
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:23 PM
I've heard try to keep the"rank"of the child in place. Like if you have a6 year old first born don't foster or adopt a 8 year old firstborn. Ask agencies for help. They should hopefully help in that department as well. And there are so many types of kids it is going to be hard to say what the perfect scenario is
OnceAgainMom63
by Member on Sep. 3, 2015 at 6:40 AM
You could keep it open to only kids 5 or younger, or boys 3 and under or girls 5 and under. Since initially you would be fostering, you could gage how he reacts. His main hurdle could be sharing you and your husband at all. :) Around my area only about 1/4 or 1/3 of placements become adoptable, so you could see how it goes. I have fostered 9 and adopted 4 over the years, the last placed because I had older brother.

In the end, I was only accepting under 2 because of how it affected my older children. Only once did I accept one out of birth order and it did not go well for the existing children.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)