Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kinship placement question

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:45 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hi I am looking for advice. My husband and I was just asked to do a kinship placement for a ex coworker of my husbands. We are not blood related The baby has already been removed for their home by dss. Can we still take custody both of the parents want to give us consent. What would our steps need to be? Do we just go to family court and file for custody? We are in New York.

Thank you in advance for any help

by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:59 AM

I'm not sure.  How can you do a kinship placement if you are not related to the baby?

Maybe someone else in this group will have experience with this. 

Good luck!

kinshipcaremama
by Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:10 PM
In some situations, where someone is so close to a child that the child feels like a family member that person can be considered kin.

In your situation, where the child is in state custody, you would have to contact the caseworker and most likely be certified as a foster home. Sometimes this process can be expidiated so you can get custody faster. You need to contact the caseworker and go from there.
babyboxfish
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:31 PM

bump for more answers!

nikkie108
by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:19 PM

Thank you I am going to try to get a hold of the case worker tomorrow.  Could you tell me what we need to do to be certified as a foster home? I would like to make sure I have everything ready Thank you all again

kinshipcaremama
by Member on Mar. 22, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Becoming a foster parent is a pretty long, complicated process. You will have to take classes, have a background check, a home study and prepare the home for fostering. You -MAY- be able to have an expedited process but it will still take time. Meanwhile, the child will be in a foster home. I hope you can get the child placed with you but it's not as simple as calling someone and saying you want the child.

Quoting nikkie108:

Thank you I am going to try to get a hold of the case worker tomorrow.  Could you tell me what we need to do to be certified as a foster home? I would like to make sure I have everything ready Thank you all again

tiredxthree
by on Mar. 23, 2017 at 12:15 PM

I don't know about NY but in Oklahoma, as long as there are no problems, the child can be placed with you until the process can be finished.  We took care of a sibling group from church and they placed them with us while we were taking classes and such.  they did do a background check and fingerprints before we got them but the rest was done while we had the child.  Good Luck.  

nikkie108
by on Mar. 23, 2017 at 2:24 PM

We have an appointment on the 11th of April with the case worker.

ldylancer03
by on Apr. 20, 2017 at 1:22 PM

how did your appt went? we did a kindship adoption but it was different from most i think haha. it was crazy. 

Quoting nikkie108:

We have an appointment on the 11th of April with the case worker.

nikkie108
by on May. 1, 2017 at 3:32 PM

Wanted to update everyone We have orientation coming up, We will be getting all the paper work and then taking classes to get certified for forster care. They let us know that the baby is already in a home and depending what the courts feel is best for the child will depend if we get him or not.

hotspice58
by Member on May. 3, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Congrats.  I'm in NY also; pm me with questions.  And fyi: if bio family steps up and they're able, the baby will go to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)