Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sign language

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 13 Replies
Have you ladies thought to do it with your children? My 1 year old talks and sings with me in words and signs and I love it!!
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheLadyAmalthea
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I did it with both children. My son didn't start talking at 12 months, so at 15 months we started sign language, and speech therapy. He never did learn it. Actually, we were doing sign language so much that his little sister started signing at 9 months old. We weren't even actively teaching her sign language at that point, she just picked up on it. We learned that our son has autism, so that's why he never learned sign language.  But ou daughter did great with it.

Samantha.Stetka
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I am sixteen and 26 weeks pregnant. I have a birth defect that makes my hearing gradually get worse. The doctors said I will be deaf by the time I am at the most 30. So I will definitely be teaching my son sign language and learning more myself too!

HyrulianHeroine
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

my mother did it with my daughter. My daughter is very fluent in it because my mother is. I just got the shit end of the stick :/

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM

My DD knows a little sign language.

risaspieces
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
My sil is deaf and can only communicate by signing so all our kids will sign. Also they have to learn Spanish to communicate with dh's family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nikki0921
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I started doing basic signs and i started when my daughter was very young. shes 6 months and she can sign more, eat and almost milk.

HyrulianHeroine
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

cute, i'm teaching my besties kid spanish :) My daughter is completely fluent well because she is spanish lol Have fun with that i think it's awesome for kids to learn both, great benefits later :)

Quoting risaspieces:

My sil is deaf and can only communicate by signing so all our kids will sign. Also they have to learn Spanish to communicate with dh's family.

supermillerMom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM
I was in school for sign language interpreting. (I quit when I had my baby and moved so I haven't finished yet.) I started signing with him from birth and just KNEW he would be fluent. He started talking first and only signs please and more when he says the words. My mom says it's because I talk so much no amount of sign language was going to override my mouth. Thanks Mom.
LilyFlair
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I did signs with all the kids (mine and those I nannied) from age one to 3-4. once they went to school they had no interest. But it helped with them being able to tell me what was wrong or what they needed before they could verbalize well

risaspieces
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I'm excited about my little boy ( and future kids) learning 3 languages from a young age. It took me forever to learn Spanish and asl, and I'm having to teach my mom how to sign now and it's slow going.

Quoting HyrulianHeroine:

cute, i'm teaching my besties kid spanish :) My daughter is completely fluent well because she is spanish lol Have fun with that i think it's awesome for kids to learn both, great benefits later :)

Quoting risaspieces:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)