Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please help...birth control

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 18 Replies
Ok long story short because of some medical stuff I have high androgen levels and bc is a way to reduce that...at my Dr appt this Thursday I know he is gonna bring up.that option again but I'm scared. Every Damn both control I have looked in to says it has a risk of blood clot stroke and heart attack...plus I'm a smoker ( I know shame on me) so that increases the risk :( is there any form of bc that isn't gonna friggin kill me!?!?! I need info not asshole responses so if you aren't gonna be nice then please skip this post!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erin708
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Not if u need the hormones. There's the iud that's non hormonal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM
:( that sucks

Quoting erin708:

Not if u need the hormones. There's the iud that's non hormonal.
kitty8199
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Not the kind you need. You're gonna have to stop smoking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Even if you aren't a smoker there is still a risk of all that crap happening :( trust me I'm in the process of quitting but even then I still wouldn't want to take bc pills. That shit is scary

Quoting kitty8199:

kitty8199
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Its higher if you smoke. Maybe a low dose pill. Look into the mini pill. It doesn't have all the hormones.

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Even if you aren't a smoker there is still a risk of all that crap happening :( trust me I'm in the process of quitting but even then I still wouldn't want to take bc pills. That shit is scary

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Thank you

Quoting kitty8199:

Its higher if you smoke. Maybe a low dose pill. Look into the mini pill. It doesn't have all the hormones.

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Quoting kitty8199:

butterflyblue19
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM

There are androgen blocking meds that you can take

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM

There is risk in EVERYTHING.  Heck, people choke to death on ham sandwiches!

What you CAN do:
1.  Decide how badly you need the hormones.  Ask your doctor all about what happens if you don't get them.  Ask him about how you can safely get them.  Your doctor has an educated guess on the risk versus benefits, but you can decide for yourself, too.  Ask about alternative treatments as well.
2.  Educate yourself on your options.  The Mirena lasts 5 years, and you may end up with no periods!  But some women have near constant spotting or pain.  Implanon goes in the arm, and is relatively safe, but may scar or even pop out.  The pills come in many varieties, but you have to take them at the same time each day.
3.  Educate yourself on bloodclots.  If caught early, most clots are treated and are harmless.  Most blood clots also happen in the legs.  Things like abnormal swelling or leg pain, tenderness, or red skin can be indicators of a blood clot and SHOULD NOT be ignored.
4.  Try to cut back or stop smoking. 

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Abstinence

kitty8199
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
She needs the hormones, not the baby prevention

Quoting Anonymous:

Abstinence

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)