Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How important is sex for a relationship and a woman's mental health?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2018 at 6:01 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hello, I've noticed that the past 4 months I've been dealing with minor depression, anxiety, and unprecedented levels of stress. I couldn't pinpoint why I was experiencing all this until my friend had asked me when was the last time I had intercourse with my boyfriend. I must admit that he has not been sexually active the past year as much as I would like to have been, but I don't want to blame him for that. He works so much that he is left with little to no energy. Although, now that I recall, we have gotten into more arguments and disagreements than we ever have before. We argue about virtually anything and everything at times. 

I looked online to see how important sex is to some people and came across this blog. Although it seems to emphasize the importance of sex, I don't think our relationship issues and my mental health issues can be prescribed from my lack of having intercourse. I do miss it and would like it more often, but I do not consciouly desire more. You can read the blog I found at the bottom.

So I must ask if sex is crucial to healthy relationships and an individual's mental health?

http://www.wordsoftheprincess.com/sex-controls-relationship/

by on Jan. 15, 2018 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MeaganP
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it is very important and the lack could cause you problems with how you feel about yourself
CalamityJane73
by on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is really important. I know there are probably couples that go without but sex is a huge part of a relationship. Sharing intimacy together brings a couple so close.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't had sex in two years, first because my husband developed impotence because he didn't want to see a dr for 10 years about his diabetes, and because I'm not sure how I feel about our marriage because of his poor choices. It has taken a significant toll on our relationship and on my own mental health for sure. Though I've accumluated an impressive collection of vibrators and dildos. Heck, I might just stick to my battery operated friends; they have never let me down. 

CemeteryGirl
by Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I think sex is very important, and it's not just for the act of sex.  

My husband and I went through a period of not having much sex at all (going as long as 3 months without sex) due to situations and schedules.  During that period of time I definitely felt more depressed, less confident, less emotionally connected to him, we fought a hell of a lot more, ect.  It really did have a strong impact on our relationship, but it wasn't just because we weren't having sex.  If you are having sex then you will feel more connected with your partner, you have to feel safe and cared for in order to really give yourself to them, and of course it does release dopamine (happy chemicals) in your brain that make you feel better overall.  Plus, hopefully the sex is good, and then you get the perks of doing something fun together and spending time enjoying each other.  So it's not so much that sex itself fixes everything, but if you are having sex and connecting with him then it will positively affect everything else.

Also, something that I had to stop and look at was what else with me was causing my depression/anxiety all of that. Reconnecting helps but you still want to think about what things you might personally need to work on or need help with, that have caused some of those issues.

Good luck and get some! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)