Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom Confessions: Is it ever okay to give a child medication to make them sleepy? *POLL*

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM
  • 112 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it ever okay to give a child medication to make them sleepy?

Options:

Yes

No

Other - (please explain below)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 172

View Results

Mom Confessions: I've Given My Child Benadryl For Early Bedtime
Posted by The Stir Bloggers

It's time for a Mom Confession -- because, let's face it, we're real mothers and sometimes it doesn't work the way the parenting books say it should.

Mom Confession:

I've given my kid Benedryl to ensure an early bedtime because I just couldn't take it anymore. I needed sleep but I've only done it once or twice and only a small amount.anonymous

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

NO!

stinkerbelle28
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:42 AM
No, my mom did it to us and we both turned out fine, but its not something I think is ok. I don't like to give my kids meds at all unless it's prescribed or maybe tylenol for a fever or something.
karla85
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 3:12 PM

No, is never ok. I dont care how tired I am, how much homework I have, or if I'm late to a party, I would never do that to my kids.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:11 AM
Ohhhh poll is 50/50

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM

No, I have never ever thought of that as an option.

newfound09
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Makes me curious of what circumstances make it ok to do that??? lmao

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Ohhhh poll is 50/50

arielsmomma1020
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM
3 moms liked this
I could see doing it if they weren't feeling good to help them go to sleep...but just bc? No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I find it okay. I have to give my son a all natural sleep aid(with doctor permission) due to the medication he takes during the day. Of course I also have a Rx for sleep aid for him, but I prefer the all natural one over the Rx. If I didn't give him anything he would be up for days. There is also no way around him not taking his meds during the day or anything else he can take in replace of it. I DO NOT give any of my kids benadryl to help them sleep. 

dlinn
by on Oct. 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM
Kids have died from this. Even if your only giving them a small amount it can build up. This is never ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bupkie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM

no... NO... NO... did I say.. no?  Benedryl is for allergies... kids are not allergic to sleeping.  Benedryl is not an FDA approved sleep aid, it's not approved for off-label use...  and playing doctor with your child is extremely dangerous!  

Gah!  

Bupkie.....

*** My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it. If it fits great! If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ***thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)