Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i live in a mice, bed bug, non heat apt with dh and two small kids..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies
We've been here a yr and some months. And due to the mistakes I made in my past with my credit this is all we can get. Our dogs are beginning to get the bugs on them too. I don't like living like this but with our income and credit this shit whole is all we can afford. We have close family members but they only help when it benefits them. We have no choice but to live here until we can find an apt that will look past our eviction from 2009. We we're told to stay here a few years and use our landlord as a reference. I hope we can find something and quickly because I'm not worried about me, I really don't want my kids or my pups to get seriously sick. We have heat but they haven't fixed our thermostat so we can't turn it up, so we heat the apartment with the open stove. We don't go visit anyone because I don't want my kids, me or the dogs to transfer anything to someone else's home. I'm beginning to become ammune to these living situations because my kids are small and they wont remember but its a big issue with dh. I'm just needing to get this off my chest....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angela_Barlow
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM
3 moms liked this
Why do you have pets if you cannot provide for your kids? Not bashing, just curious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikeyjavimami21
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I don't really have anything to say other than I hope you are blessed with a better living situation ASAP. I know what it is like to live in a less than good place and it feels horrible.

AAsmommy0509
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM

With the economy the way it is, You can probably get into something, the deposit might be a little higher, Its what a friend did, she has an eviction on her credit, the took the deposit up by 150 dollars for her new place. You need to do some seriously cleaning ( they have sprays) and set traps. Especially if you're going to live in that!!

kjfamily
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM
4 moms liked this

Well if you are paying rent then your landlord needs to pay to get rid of the mice, bedbugs, and heat. Put your rent into a escrow account until he makes the place safe! Until then just do your best to keep the place clean , set mice traps, throw away your bed and stuffed toys, wear layers.Good luck.

auroragold
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Mice - you can address that on your own.

Go buy some steel wool from the hardware store. Take everything out of your cupboards. Get on your hands and knees with a flashlight and find all the holes they come through. Stuff them with chunks of steel wool.  Don't forget to check around heating pipes.

Dogs are nice - but they cost $$$. If things are tight, time to consider giving them up; the money spent on feeding THEM can be used for savings toward a new rental.

There are laws about HEAT and tenant's rights in most states. Do you know YOURS?  Your landlord may be in violation of those laws by not having a functional thermostat.

mel18
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Well....so many things I want to say.  Umm....is the stove gas?  If so, you can get c02 poisoning.  If your renting, why is the landlord not taking care of the issue with pests?  Where mice and bugs there when you moved in?  The landlord has a responsibility to keep the property safe and pest free.   You can write him a letter explaining the issues you have with the living conditions and mail it to him.  Make sure to keep a copy and have it mailed so he has to sign for it.  That way, if he doesn't take care of the issue in a reasonable amount of time you can put your rent into escrow. 

Just because you don't have good credit doesn't mean you need to live like this.......certainly not with children.  That is your responsibility to ensure the kids are in a safe and clean home.  Don't make excuses for why you can't get out of there.  You need to get your ass in gear and do whatever you need to get out of there ASAP. 

You can't afford to have pets and internet if your living in such deplorable conditions.  The money you pay for dog food could go toward saving for a better place to live.  As well as cable and internet.....anything that is not a necessity you need to get rid of. 

Why you would live like this for so long is beyond me.  It's not just you, there are children involved...that should put some pep in your step to get the hell out of there and make a better life for your family.  Your kids are at high risk at getting ill because of the poor choices you have made.  You continuing to make poor choices and not doing what it takes to get out of there, in my opinion, makes me believe that you are not putting your kids first.  That is what upsets me the most about this post.  Please do something to get out of there......not just for you.........but more importantly your KIDS.  Before you lose them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM
We got the dogs when we first moved in this place and it was nice looking at first. It wasn't til after we got the pups that we started noticing things. We're on a program at our local animal shelter for low income houses with pets that we get free dog food every month as long as we get there early in the month and they still have some.

Quoting Angela_Barlow:

Why do you have pets if you cannot provide for your kids? Not bashing, just curious.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM

you dont have money to afford an apartment without mice and bugs.. but you can afford a cell phone with internet? And also animals?

I would say dump the added expense of expensive cell phones and the dogs.. because your kids are more important.

KRIZZ25
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM
I understand.no bashing from me.but i would talk wth the land lord.are u allowed to have pet?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Sunshine
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM

been there done that! it was horrible. I hope you guys are able to get out soon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)