Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Telling your child to shut-up

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 9:51 PM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Is it okay to tell/yell at your child to shut-up?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 77

View Results

I read in another post about telling a child to shut up.

Personally, I believe that is way to harsh. I'm not perfect. I've caught myself about to say it before and it turns into hush up ... which to mean is almost the same.

I don't want someone telling me to shut up and I'm 24. So I wouldn't tell my 3 year old or child at any age to shut up.

Who Am I? Here’s my resume: CEO of The Green Household, Masters & PhD in Patience, Non-TV Activity Coordinator, Playgroud Medic, Tantrum & Meltdown Coordinator, Search & Rescue: The Missing Toy Unit, Playdate Social Secretary, CEO: Department of Make Believe, Manners Expert, Personal Shopper, Tooth Brush Inspector, Short Order Cook, Personal Chauffeur, Diaper Coordinator, Personal Stylist, Household Accountant, & President of Kissing a Boo-Boo

{Curtis born 7.15.08} {Carson born 09.22.11} {Married my sweetheart 03.14.08}
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrskgill06
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 9:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I've told my kids to shut up before! Am I proud of it NO, but sometimes they just won't listen and telling them to SHUT UP seems to get their attention! I was raised being told to shut up and nothing is wrong with me... :) Parents do things all the time that may not be right to someone else but that doesn't make them horrible people. Sometimes parents act like thay are kids too... lol

Vibrant.Heart
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I've done it, but no, it's not OK.

mamagreen08
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I'm pretty sure the urge to say it will grow the older he gets, lol.

I don't think telling your child to shut up qualifies "you" as a horrible parent. It's just not my style.

Quoting mrskgill06:

I've told my kids to shut up before! Am I proud of it NO, but sometimes they just won't listen and telling them to SHUT UP seems to get their attention! I was raised being told to shut up and nothing is wrong with me... :) Parents do things all the time that may not be right to someone else but that doesn't make them horrible people. Sometimes parents act like thay are kids too... lol

Lishes
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM
4 moms liked this

Sometimes, people need to be told to shut up.

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I say it at times.

I don't feel bad about it. It's not a big deal to me. There are so many worse things a parent can say to their child. Shut up certainly isn't on the list for me.

CrnchyMamaCraig
by Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:03 PM
5 moms liked this

No, It's not ok. It's disrespectful and if you talk to your child disrespectfully, they will be disrespectful themselves. Your child is constantly learning what is and isn't ok....even in your moments of annoyance and frustration.

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Why is shut up so much more disrespectful then saying be quiet to someone? Or hush up?

Quoting CrnchyMamaCraig:

No, It's not ok. It's disrespectful and if you talk to your child disrespectfully, they will be disrespectful themselves. Your child is constantly learning what is and isn't ok....even in your moments of annoyance and frustration.

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I have told my dd to please be quite but that's about it.

CrnchyMamaCraig
by Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:10 PM

ASKing someone to be quiet isn't disrespectful. Telling someone to "shut up" is a lot more disrespectful than saying please be quiet right now or your going to *insert random punishment* which would get the job done just as well. The way I was raised...shut up was not tolerated. I don't say it to anyone unless I truly have no respect for them.

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Why is shut up so much disrespectful then saying be quiet to someone? Or hush up?

Quoting CrnchyMamaCraig:

BabyFruit Ticker
ARE YOU A NATURAL MINDED MAMA DUE IN THE SPRING OF 2012? JOIN ME HERE!

ARE YOU DUE IN MARCH!? Join me in March 2012 Babies!

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I see. So, If i ASK my son to shut up would that be better?

Quoting CrnchyMamaCraig:

ASKing someone to be quiet isn't disrespectful. Telling someone to "shut up" is a lot more disrespectful than saying please be quiet right now or your going to *insert random punishment* which would get the job done just as well. The way I was raised...shut up was not tolerated. I don't say it to anyone unless I truly have no respect for them.

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Why is shut up so much disrespectful then saying be quiet to someone? Or hush up?

Quoting CrnchyMamaCraig:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)