Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i feel ignorant!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
ive been reading these race posts all day and i feel super ignorant. As i read the posts and comments i have come to realize that i might have racial tendencies...tho im puertorican. I dont know much about african american culture like i should....i know what the famous ones have done but thats it. I feel ashamed that ive never asked a black person what it feels like to be discriminated against just for the color of their skin or any important questions....i dont wanna raise my child to be ignorant like i am...but im too embarassed to post with sn because i dont want ppl yelling at me. Its not that i dont like black ppl...i have a few in my family but their more pr than black....so could someone help me out a bit...i really wanna understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karla85
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM
I'm right there with you, I've been learning through df but that's about it. Is going to be difficult to raise a biracial baby with me not knowing much about df's culture
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM
well hopefully someone on here can point us in the right direction at least....anything so we dont feel like were teaching our children wrong....i really just wanna learn and be able to teach my dd and maybe be able to pass on knowledge to friends who might feel ignorant but dont wanna say so
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cara5
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I don't think your ignorant.  To me, ignorance is the context that it is being used in these posts, is the attitude that people who spout racist, homophobic or ethnocentric opinions without giving a second thought to the possibility that what they are saying is wrong. 

Everyone has to start somewhere and having not been exposed to certian culture, not having asked the questions or had the convesations yet but being open to learning and having the desire to expand your opinions and education on a subject is not being ignorant.  

http://www.centerhealingracism.org/home0.aspx

This is a great website to get you started. 

I admire your ability to admit that you still have things to learn, and that sets a great example for teaching your children not to be racist, ignorant, ass hats :) 

MissLeanna
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:26 PM

You are not ignorant love.

Honestly, in todays society, nobody REALLY knows about another race.

never feel stupid for wanting to know.:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM
thanks for the link...gonna check it out!!....it just feels wrong to have had no opinion on certain things that ppl say about blacks....i dont condone hatred, but i think i might've just by being silent and not asking ppl why they say the things they do. It hurts to know that i have friends who are sadly racist because they dont know any better and i did nothing to show them another way...im gonna read up and ask questions and stop allowing ppl to say untrue things...maybe if i correct them they will feel stupid and listen to what i say
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Watch these documentaries:

A Girl Like Me (2007), directed by Kiri Davis, explores the way racial stereotypes influence the self-image of African American young women and children. Davis interviews teenage black women about their experience with racialized standards of beauty, and replicates the Kenneth Clark Doll Test, to show how black girls and boys to this day associate whiteness with beauty and virtue and blackness with ugliness and vice.

Ethnic Notions (1986), directed Marlon Riggs, is an hour-long documentary on the history of demeaning black stereotypes and cultural representations, in film, music, and kitsch art, and advertising. It explains how mass media's images of African Americans perpetuate racism.

Race: The Power of An Illusion (2003), directed by Christine Herbes-Summers, is a series that investigates race as a political economic construction. It seeks to dispel the misconception that race is a biologically valid concept, and replace it with an investigation of race as a means of furthering and perpetuating white privilege.

Revolution '67 (2007), directed Marylou Tibaldo-Bongiorno, documents the race riots in Newark, New Jersey in the summer of 1967. To illuminate the events and surrounding historical circumstances, the film employs archival footage and first person accounts from Newarks' citizens, as well as community leaders, civil rights activists, government officials, policemen, and national guardsmen. Revolution '67 investigates the role of law enforcement, and the combination of social, political, economic, and racial dynamics that provoked the riots.

Review this : http://www.history.com/topics/black-history-month

Also, watch Black in Latin America documentary on PBS http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-latin-america/

very interesting, especially when they explore racism in Brazil.

Maybe you should even ask some of your Black relatives about their experiences with discrimination.

NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I think we should worry less about what it is like to be a different color and worry more about the individual.  Not every black person has the same experience. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2011 at 3:16 PM

bump

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 3:25 PM
you are not ignorant you are uninformed...the difference is you want to learn more. I don't expect other races to know alot about my race,expect to be treated with respect and not lumped into a stereotype and I am pretty sure that is what most people want no matter the color.
all of these race post I find very disturbing,not because people are racist,there are alwas going to be some. It is the fact that they are justfiying racism with racism. If you want to be racist fine, but don't tell me that you are racist because all black people are racist. I only use that example because that is the one that everyone throws out. But the fact is that all black people aren't racist....are some? Of course they are...just like some white people are, but I would never say that all white people are so I was going to be disrespectful to all white people....
I just don't understand the need to be so hateful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2011 at 3:37 PM
thank you to everyone who has commented...i feel better knowing that im just uninformed....i am going to the library today to see if i can find those videos...i also called my cousin and "aunt" and both said they would sit down with me and dd to explain things we dont understand and answer any questions....were putting something together for next week...plus dd has a bestfriend who wants to come and ask questions too!....hopefully we can make an impression on the girls that they take into their adulthood!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)