Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Okay I'm done now.......

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM
  • 6 Replies

This is my (bad) mommy confession:

I'm ready for the Santa thing to be over.

I have been excited these past years to play Santa and make the magic happen.  The magic on the morning of the 25th has made my heart jump and my eyes tear up. Even the big gruff daddy is reduced to misty eyes as his daughter squeals with delight over the magic that has seemingly occured overnight.

Yet as each year passes, we get more tired and it gets harder to make the magic.  No longer can I shop with DD in tow simply hiding things in the cart or distracting her while the cashier bags them.  No longer can I ship her to bed at 7 or 8pm, get things under the tree and have us in bed by midnight.  

Now I have to disguise my handwriting on the tags - or recruit a neighbor to help.

Now I have to keep THE wrapping paper hidden and not use it for anything other than Santa gifts.

Now I have to remember which gifts were from SANTA and which were from us.

Now the MAGIC on Christmas eve doesn't even START until midnight and that's after a triple check that she's asleep and involves lots of tip-toeing and shushing (DH is like a bull in a china shop).

I still love the magic - I ADORE the magic. I don't want it to go away - I just wish it wasn't so much darned work!

I am awaiting the day when some child convinces my daughter that Santa isn't real. I'll greet that day with both sadness for the loss of the MAGIC and - I confess -with relief.

Then it will simply be time to make NEW traditions and NEW magic because, afterall, what is a childhood without it?

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MamaLub
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM
I don't wrap their Santa gifts. We don't put cookies out. One of us gets the gifts, The other distracts the kid while we put them out in the living room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:38 PM

^^ never heard of it done that way before. Interesting

3_girls_86
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM

My kids are still young enough to not notice my handwriting. I just can't go shopping with my older 2 because they notice everything I buy. They're 6 and 4.

wintermermaid
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM
Santa only brought 1 gift which was left out on Christmas morning unwrapped plus stocking stuffers. He would leave a note each year which was always in my moms handwriting which was fine. I think you are stressing yourself out for no reason. Do what works for you. Don't overthink it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elizabeth.mary
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM

That's why my parents never wrapped our Santa gifts.
Just set them in front of the tree.
One parent would shop for the Santa gifts and the other would watch us.
That's how I'll be doing it, lol.

bupkie
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM

We were "done" last year... but only because ours told us that the gig was up.    We had set aside different wrapping paper.   We had been printing out tags "from Santa" on the computer for years (problem about handwriting solved)...      

We haven't been able to sneak anything or distract them while shopping with them since they were toddlers.    

So, last year, it was very different, with the absence of magic....  However, what is still magical is when we go and bring gifts for the giving tree at church,  when we bring new toys for the toys for tots at the local grocery store collection bin, and other things in our community.   Teaching our children about giving during this season  (in addition to year round) keeps the magic alive.   Sharing with them how good it feels to give to others - gives them a turn to feel like Santa... and is a bit more meaningful for them too.     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN