Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

I'm posting this anonymously because I don't want people PM'ing me or bashing me because of this.

DH works a very hard job and makes a LOT of money doing what he does. We have almost 0 debt, our new car is almost paid for, we have 1 credit card for the sole purpose of building our credit and it has a low balance. (We're keeping the balance at a quarter of the cards limit, that's what the loan officer that's helping us with getting a mortgage told us to do.) The car will be paid for completely by January at the latest. Our rent is paid up until March.

We were talking about our family vacation for next year but DH only gets 2 weeks of vacation time, he is going to be using a few days to participate in a handgun competition in late May, it's going to leave him with about 10 days of vacation time left which doesn't give us enough time to do a family vacation in the summer AND go back to our home state and see his son over Christmas.

So we're talking about going to Disneyland for Christmas. Yes, we know it will be busy. We went this past summer but ended up paying less than $2k for the trip because we went with a family member who had a timeshare down there and got a free car rental through their work. That being said, the trip was miserable for DH and I. I was constantly cleaning up after the family member and their spouse and they made us feel like we owed them even though THEY offered to go with us and do the timeshare. (We didn't ask them too.)

DH wants to stay at the hotel inside California Adventure, we want to do 6 day park hopper passes so we can take our time and do whatever we want to do, and we basically want to put no restrictions on this vacation. To get a 5 day meal package, tickets, and the room is going to cost us over $6,000. We can afford it, but it's throwing us for a loop since that's so much more than what we spent the first time.

So... if you could afford to do it, would you? And sorry this is long!

ETA - If you have other ideas or recommendations of what we could do for a fun family vacation over Christmas break please post them!!

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyFlood
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:40 PM
No. If I'm paying $6,000 I'm going to Europe or somewhere exotic. Especially if you've already been to Disney World.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Violets.Mommy
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:41 PM

yes.

Ataemommy
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM

We just did a $5,000 Christmas Disney trip last year. We had fun, but Christmas is the WORST time to go. The lines are SO long, rides break down because of their constant use, you are bumping into people, constantly freaking out about losing your kids -- the Haunted Mansion like was over a MILE long when we went.Apparently Christmas is their BUSIEST season. By the time you want to do basic things like pick up your Photopass pics, you're exhausted and worn out and the line to get your pictures is 90 minutes long.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, DON'T go during Christmas!

jaspersmommy2
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:43 PM

glad u can afford 6 grand for vacation.  put personaly i wouldnt if u have already been this past summer, do somewhere else

mamagreen08
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:46 PM

It is your money, your decision.

If you guys are willing & ok with spending 6 grand to a place you have already been, then do it! Maybe this time will be more enjoyable.

Personally, if I've already been there, I would choose another family vacation spot. But if you decision to do it is because it also you to see his son and it is in the area, then yes, for sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Quoting Ataemommy:

We just did a $5,000 Christmas Disney trip last year. We had fun, but Christmas is the WORST time to go. The lines are SO long, rides break down because of their constant use, you are bumping into people, constantly freaking out about losing your kids -- the Haunted Mansion like was over a MILE long when we went.Apparently Christmas is their BUSIEST season. By the time you want to do basic things like pick up your Photopass pics, you're exhausted and worn out and the line to get your pictures is 90 minutes long.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, DON'T go during Christmas!

Unfortunately we are really restricted. We can only due vacations when DD and SS are out of school - which means the summer or Christmas vacation. Our first trip was fairly miserable for us, the kids were constantly tired and the park was busy. (Not Christmas busy, but still busy.) There were also entire areas of both parks that we never got to see while we were there. DH pointed out that any rides the kids really want to go on we can get fast passes for then just go to the hotel and hang out until the time is up since the hotel is right there and a part of the park.

However, we are open to other suggestions!! If you have other ideas of what we could do please let us know!

Shabbydoll78
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM

We have season passes and go all the time, and I must admit that Christmas is my favorite time to go. Its beautiful at the park, but it can get a bit crowded. The California grand is really nice, but you guys may be able to save a little by staying at the Disney hotel or the paradise pier. Both are on the grounds and part of the resort, and are really nice. They just run a little cheaper then the grand.

Chankez21
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM
If you had never done Disney before & it was a once in a lifetime vacation then I would say yes. However,there are so many cool & interesting places you can go for even less than that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Quoting MommyFlood:

No. If I'm paying $6,000 I'm going to Europe or somewhere exotic. Especially if you've already been to Disney World.

That is our 10 year anniversary trip which we will be doing without the kids! lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Quoting Shabbydoll78:

We have season passes and go all the time, and I must admit that Christmas is my favorite time to go. Its beautiful at the park, but it can get a bit crowded. The California grand is really nice, but you guys may be able to save a little by staying at the Disney hotel or the paradise pier. Both are on the grounds and part of the resort, and are really nice. They just run a little cheaper then the grand.

I had a season pass when I was a teenager living in SoCal and I LOVED Disneyland at Christmas time, it was so beautiful! I am OBSESSED with Christmas and DH know they go all out at the park which is part of the reason he wants to go. He thinks I'll probably go nuts with all the awesome Christmas stuff... he's probably right lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)