Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Serious racial (not racist) question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 117 Replies
Im white, I have a black friend who I babysat for while she was in the hospital. I had all 3 of her kids for 9 days. In this time I bathed them every night and washed their hair and greased and fixed it every 3 days. When she got home they were all clean with clean fixed hair. She asked me how frequently I washed and fixed it. When I told her she rolled her eyes and looked at me in disgust and told me that black people only wash their hair about every 2 weeks and that she had just washed their hair right before she was hospitalized. She expected their hair to still be the same as she fixed it before she left. I don't get it. The kids' hair was filthy. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone through yhe trouble of washing greasing and fixing it.

So my question is... Is it typical for black ppl to only wash their hair every 2 weeks or was she just upset that I took better care of her kids than she does?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissLeanna
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Believe it or not yes it is normal to go 2 weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Pagan.
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

when i was in school it was common for the kids to have their hair done and then wear it that way for one or two weeks straight...then again it was also common for them to be scratching or doing that odd tapping thing to their scalp too because of it. i would have done the same thing you did had i been watching them.

Miss-B
by ♥Divalicious♥ on Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:59 AM
Yea..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GomezMami2908
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:00 AM

2 weeks? I didn't know that. I can't even handle 2 days without washing my hair. I would have done the same thing if I were you.

MissLeanna
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:01 AM
Washing black people hair a lot can actually damage it. ( I think?) that's what I learned in school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissLeanna
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:02 AM
They don't have the same hair type it's very coarse it can handle 2 weeks

Quoting GomezMami2908:

2 weeks? I didn't know that. I can't even handle 2 days without washing my hair. I would have done the same thing if I were you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miss-B
by ♥Divalicious♥ on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:03 AM
Lol, not all of us do the tapping.

Quoting .Pagan.:

when i was in school it was common for the kids to have their hair done and then wear it that way for one or two weeks straight...then again it was also common for them to be scratching or doing that odd tapping thing to their scalp too because of it. i would have done the same thing you did had i been watching them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyboy117
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I am a cosmetologist. And it is very true that people who tend  to have  more dry/brittle hair should not wash everyday. It will take all the oils out of their hair which can cause breakage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
In washing black people hair school?? Lmao.

Quoting MissLeanna:

Washing black people hair a lot can actually damage it. ( I think?) that's what I learned in school

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Pagan.
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:05 AM
2 moms liked this

i know its just to try to preserve the hair style because all out scratching would mess it up but man some of the kids i remember BANGING their head. like you could hear the thumping sound lol. poor guys ;P

Quoting Miss-B:

Lol, not all of us do the tapping.

Quoting .Pagan.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)