Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Narcissistic Quote

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM
  • 30 Replies

Does anyone else think the saying: "You can't love someone else until you love yourself" is totally stupid?

What is this supposed to mean anyway? Sounds like a quote by an anonymous narcisisst.

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:22 PM
2 moms liked this

It makes sense to me.  If you dont have a respect and love for the person you are how are you going to find a man that will treat you right?  You will likely find a man who treats you like crap and if you do find a good man you will think you dont deserve it.

Do you not love yourself?

roxy1984
by Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Um, no. How are you supposed to allow someone to treat you good and love you if you don't love yourself enough to feel as though you deserve it?

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:24 PM
^^ well said, NDA. ^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennifer_57
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:24 PM
Ah, but if you dont love yourself and have a baby, does that mean you cant love your baby? A diff type of love, but nevertheless, its still love

Quoting NDADanceMom:

It makes sense to me.  If you dont have a respect and love for the person you are how are you going to find a man that will treat you right?  You will likely find a man who treats you like crap and if you do find a good man you will think you dont deserve it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxy1984
by Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Or what she said. lol I didn't read the reply before I posted mine.

CoachyMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this
It means that until you are totally comfortable with you and take care of yourself completely, you can't do the same for someone else and truly deeply love them because you can never give all of yourself to another.

It is actually a selfless statement, not narcissitic at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amanda52007
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:26 PM
I love that quote.

If you are shitty to yourself, you can't expect someone else to treat you right.

If you don't love and accept yourself, how is someone else supposed to accept and love you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxy1984
by Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I can bet that you aren't being the best mother you could be, by not loving yourself.

Quoting Jennifer_57:

Ah, but if you dont love yourself and have a baby, does that mean you cant love your baby? A diff type of love, but nevertheless, its still love

Quoting NDADanceMom:

perezamberly
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:29 PM
I prob wouldn't understand it either until I was in a few toxic relationships. I think it means you need to respect yourself and love yourself enough not to let someone else talk you into doing stuff you don't agree with. It's also the key to a happy life in general :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM

hey there Trinity...............why'd ya delete your other post?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)