Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pregnant women who smoke...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies
4 moms liked this

I smoked for 13 years and I quit before I ever had kids, when I turned 30.  I understand it's an addiction, I understand it's hard to quit, but it still shocks me every time I see a pregnant woman light up.  I don't think it means you are an unfit parent or anything at all, but I just don't understand how you can do something so bad to that little person inside you.  Don't you owe it to your child to give them the best start possible?  I know people say that they knew so and so who smoked her whole pregnancy and their baby turned out just fine, but why take the risk?  And most importantly, if it's something that's SO difficult for you, an adult, to quit, what makes you think it's any easier for your newborn to go through nicotine withdraws and how does it make you feel to watch that happen?  

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaRockett
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:57 AM
The fetus goes through withdrawal, too. Don't most docs suggest weaning instead of cold turkey?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Quoting MamaRockett:

The fetus goes through withdrawal, too. Don't most docs suggest weaning instead of cold turkey?

Yeah, I think they do suggest that.  But I know a lot of women who found out they were pregnant and just quit cold turkey.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM
4 moms liked this

Not to be rude but I don't think it's any of your or anyone else's buisness what a women does while they are pregnant. It's not your body so why do you care??

Everyone is different. Kudos to you for quitting. Not everyone can. 

baquick
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM
That's what my doc said. It was better for me not to put my body through the stress. If I was able to quit fantastic but not to stress myself out trying to quit. I eventually quit (around 5-6 months). He told me to keep it under 5 a day.

Quoting MamaRockett:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I smoked through all three of my pregnancies my dr. told me to slowly cut down the amount I smoked daily if I couldn't quit cold turkey. I got down to 3 smokes a day before the end of the first trimester but couldn't quit cold turkey.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I smoked while pregnant i cut down 2 5 smokes a day and i only smoked half of it just to get the withdraw be easier. my kids came out healthy and not withdraws

crazymom36
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I was told by my Doc not to quit,but to slow down and smoke lights..the nicotine fits will harm the child just as bad as a cigarette

abbymomo2
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM
Honestly, I always said as soon as I got pregnant, I would quit smoking...it didn't happen and I'm thankful, so incredibly thankful that my children are healthy. My doctor told me not to stress about quitting, to cut down to a number he and I was comfortable with, which ended up being about 3 a day for both my children. My daughter weighed 6 pounds 10 ounces and was full term, my son was 8 pounds 1 ounce and full term. Neither of them have asthma, neither of them went through what I could tell were withdrawals, neither of them suffered from me smoking. Do I know I was lucky? ABSOLUTELY!
MiCHELLEx
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
you're not supposed to quit cold turkey when pregnant because that's added stress. You're supposed to cut down. I've been told that by doctors AND other women who smoke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Nov. 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't shock me.  Addiction is hard and to assume a baby will magically make someone stop is absurd. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN