Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My brother wants to be a woman and I just don't believe that it's real...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

My brother is a man who believes he was born in the wrong body, he told me a week ago that he has believed this for some time. My parents are supportive and are supporting him in his choice to become a woman and I have done my research and I just don't believe it exists. He is a MAN, he was born a man... My parents are angry at me, they want me to be supportive (my brother is 18). My parents don't seem to understand why I can't just accept him but I can't, I don't believe he is a woman born into a man's body. I believe he may be a man with some psychological issues however who should maybe get some counselling.

I'm probably going to get bashed to high heaven to this but I just don't believe in it. My husband has ALWAYS though my brother is a wacko so it's a I told you so situation. I would like some advice on what you moms think of this, have you known someone like it? Please do understand I am in shock.

EDIT: I DON'T HAVE AN ISSUE WITH HIM LIVING AS A WOMAN BUT I THINK THE SURGERY IS BARBARIC, UNNECESSARY AND JUST PLAIN WRONG. THAT'S MY REAL ISSUE.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eco_Momma
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

he's your brother and soon she will be your sister. It doesn't matter if you don't believe her, it's her life not yours. you should support her.

RhondaVeggie
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Your brother doesn't want to be a woman, she is a woman. You can refuse to believe and refuse to support her but that doesn't make her a man.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM

So why don't we just say to schizophrenics "yes, you have voices in your head" that is just how you were naturally born. We DON'T, it's a mental condition, right?

4FAM67860509
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I just can't believe how ignorant you're sounding...oh wait...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amirahca
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Yaaaeee. Now u have a sister.
Francine24
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM

You know if my bro wanted to be a chick i would totally and fully support him, one bc its his body and if he feels comfortable in a woman's body good for him, two his my family and i will always be there for him, thats just me.

bubbasmom0917
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM

he will have to go through therapy before the procedure to make sure this is what he wants and if he still wants to do it, then so be it. you just need to support him. you don't know what he thinks or what goes through his head. be supportive and not call him a wacko like your husband. he is your blood and should love him no matter what.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I personally totally get where you are coming from.  I have a cousin who was born a male and is female, and I dont really get it either.  But if you want to look at it like schizophrenia sure it is similar, but schizophrenia cant be cured either, no matter how much therapy they get.  And it is his life he is going to live it as he chooses.  You can either choose to write him out of your life, or accept that this is his decision to make.  It doesnt make you a bad person to disagree with it, there just isnt a single thing you can do to change it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So why don't we just say to schizophrenics "yes, you have voices in your head" that is just how you were naturally born. We DON'T, it's a mental condition, right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Don't get me wrong, I will not cut him out of my life EVER. He is my brother and I love him but I refuse to acknowledge that he was born a woman in a man's body. No, they can't control schizophrenia but they can control it in most cases with meds that block the voices/turns they tend to have and we at least know that it's not right... It's a mental health issue.

Quoting Anonymous:

I personally totally get where you are coming from.  I have a cousin who was born a male and is female, and I dont really get it either.  But if you want to look at it like schizophrenia sure it is similar, but schizophrenia cant be cured either, no matter how much therapy they get.  And it is his life he is going to live it as he chooses.  You can either choose to write him out of your life, or accept that this is his decision to make.  It doesnt make you a bad person to disagree with it, there just isnt a single thing you can do to change it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

MrsBell26
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM
I think it's unfair to be that way towards him.
It's NEVER easy "coming out" especially to your
family. He needs family support as much as possible.
I feel bad for him based on what you disclosed about
how your spouse feels about him already. It's my hope
that everyone can find happiness in their lives; regardless
of their sexual preference, gender, age, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)