Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm going against everything I believe in and am applying for foodstamps and state medicaid.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

Politically I'm 100% against government welfare and although I know people do truly need help I felt I wasn't one of those so I never applied but now for my kids I'm having to swallow my pride, go against my moral being, and fill out this damned application. S/O is having garnishments taken out and we have been barely getting by for months now. S/O's work has insurance but because of the garnishments we cannot afford to pay for it and due to some huge medical bills we are in the middle of filing bankruptcy. I only have about $200 a month leftover after his checks for food (this is if something doesn't go wrong. If something goes wrong we have to take that out of grocery money.) We get by. All our bills are paid and the kids do have food but if something goes wrong (like my car breaking down which just happened) we have no room to breath. S/O had to put a loan on an item worth over $2000 at a local pawn shop for $350 so we could pay rent and electric after the car broke down. I feel horrible asking for help. I am a person who believes in taking care of yourself and I know there are people out their worse off then me but I feel my kids are suffering. I feel bad at the moment for bringing them into this life. When we had them we were well off and due to an unfortunate chain of events we have ended up in this predicament. And before anyone mentions me working I have to say I suffer from severe anxiety that has made me unable to work for many years. I tried going back to work a couple months ago and because of the anxiety and the fact that I couldn't find anyone to watch my children that I could afford I left. Also last month we didn't get by. I had to go to my parents begging for food. I currently wash all our laundry in the bath tub because we can't afford to go to the laundromat and my apartment pays gas so sometimes when I'm extremely desperate I heat my house with the stove. I cannot keep living this way. 

crying

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
I.heart.my.kids
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

thats what its there for.

grey7399
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this

you're in the same boat lots of us are in.  Suck it up princess.  I'm sorry life is so rough right now but thank goodness that help is out there, right?

My4Kidds
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Don't feel bad...you need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RollingStone
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Do you plan on buying pepsi and chocolate..?

I.heart.my.kids
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM

and Ramen noodles

Quoting RollingStone:

tori911
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM

That's right.

Quoting I.heart.my.kids:

Women are called snobs and bitches because we have standards, know our worth, only accept what we deserve, and never settle. Be proud to be a woman!

godsgirl26
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Quoting I.heart.my.kids:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:17 PM

We don't eat junk food. 

Quoting RollingStone:

toughmom638
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM
That's what its there. You aren't trying to abuse the system like most people do, but maybe next time someone says they are on food stamps, you will learn to be more compassionate, just use this as a lesson in life. Your family needs this, that's why it was made..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RollingStone
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Can you buy me some.. I just used the last of my food stamps on cookies..

Quoting Anonymous:

We don't eat junk food. 

Quoting RollingStone:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)