Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Telling prospective employers about pregnancy...

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM
  • 15 Replies
In october I technically quit my job because of hyper emesis during my pregnancy. We were doing fine until a couple weeks ago when dh got laid off. So, I have an interview with a temp service on Monday. They have a few positions I could start in right away. (my hyper emesis is pretty much under control now)
The thing is, I'm 20 weeks pregnant. 21 or 22 now. Shit I can't remember. But I can still pass for just being a little chubby. Should I tell the temp service woman that I'm pregnant? Or wait until I get an assignment? The jobs I am going for are very long term, so I would need maternity leave. Plus, I don't know how temp services do maternity leave. If they do at all.

Edit: the jobs I am up for are all desk jobs. So there is little risk with the pregnancy there.
a few years ago I got so job at a restaurant while pregnant. I didn't tell them at the interview. I waited until orientation and asked if they had their uniform in maternity... It seemed to go over well. But this is a little different.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cassnadrajones
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Hmm, I think it can go two ways. The can either be understanding and only give you short term ass. or they can be ass hole and not give you anything. I think most would understand. If you tell them, they can help you more. 

Good luck and congrats 

kjglpg
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:59 PM
Its better to be up front and honest about it. You dont want to be placed in a job that you have to do heavy lifting. And although they cant fire you for being pregnant legally speaking, they can find ways around getting you out of there so they dont have to pay for your leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:00 PM
Tell them. A lot of temp services put people in jobs pregnant women can't do or have a hard time doing. That and if something happens at work they need to know about it. Is there anyway you can go back to your old job?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM

You do not have to tell them and it is illegal for them to ask, because then they could refuse you work based on familial status. I found a job at about 24 weeks pregnant. I hid my bump during the interview. I worked until 34 weeks pregnant, when I was hospitalized.

mylovey
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Legally, you don't have to tell them anything. Some jobs discriminate, even though they are not allowed to do so. 

Mommy to a sweet little princess named Saylor. 

MiCHELLEx
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM
you don't have to tell them.. but I would in case you have to do heavy lifting or be around paint or something..you know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ryancy87
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I went through a temp agency. got the job and found out I was 5 weeks pregnant within a couple weeks of working. I was scared that the job would let me go. I got enough courage to tell my boss that I was pregnant ( I had to because i worked in a factory lifting heavy things) and he said that is fine, and he put me in a different department that allowed me to do desk work. My boss hired me in within 2 months of being a temp and I was able to take un-paid  maternity leave when it came time for me to have the baby.  Im not saying every job is like this. I just wanted to share my story with you.

Erika_Wheeler09
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:05 PM
I wouldn't tell them none of their business. And if for some reason they can't gve you leave (or won't) f you don't need the job any more quit probably not the best advice but at least you'll make some money which you need
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2boysandgirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Since it is a temp agency I would tell them so that if you need to be place some other time as well they will be more willing to help. If they placed you in a long term assignment and then you had to leave because of a complication or to have the baby and the agency didn't know about the pregnancy they might be less likely to work with you again at a later time.

mylovey
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I just found out I am pregnant, and I recently accepted a job. I am going to wait until I show to tell them, but I hope it goes as well as it went for you. When I applied for the job, and interviewed for the job, I was not pregnant. 

Quoting ryancy87:

I went through a temp agency. got the job and found out I was 5 weeks pregnant within a couple weeks of working. I was scared that the job would let me go. I got enough courage to tell my boss that I was pregnant ( I had to because i worked in a factory lifting heavy things) and he said that is fine, and he put me in a different department that allowed me to do desk work. My boss hired me in within 2 months of being a temp and I was able to take un-paid  maternity leave when it came time for me to have the baby.  Im not saying every job is like this. I just wanted to share my story with you.

Mommy to a sweet little princess named Saylor. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)