Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DS is 5 and not potty trained

Posted by   + Show Post

He is speech delayed and very immature. I haven't really forced the issue but he needs to start school next year.

by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:58 AM
Replies (101-110):
JanieJo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I am sure it is a control issue. DS does the same things u say your daughter did. And I know that part of the problem is my consistency. I am not very tough and he usually gets what he wants. Besides DS, I have a 3 year old DD who is not quite potty trained either but she is interested.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you sure its not a control issue? I just recently potty trained my 3 year old, prior to these last few months I had been struggling with her since she was 20 months. I learnt her bowel movements and looked for the signs (she woould hide when she wanted to go) and she made the "pooping" face. It was also a control issue for her, she felt that peeing and pooping was the only thing she controlled and could get away with, so she took advantage of that and after I discovered all of that, I completely took away the diapers (even at bedtime) and took her everytime she would try to hide, she was fully toilet trained a week later. Its been 4 months and so far she's only had one accident when she was sleeping.
You told a commenter earlier that you gave him candy when he went, but that he demanded that you give him some even when he goes in his pants, did you give in to his requests? If so, you might have some control issues with him that need resolved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to be consistent with both and completely ditch the diapers (and pull ups). Also, I got her a special potty training dvd free online lol and it had kids songs, cartoons and games about using the potty, she loved it! It will be tough and most likely you will lose a few hours of sleep at night, but in the end it will be worth not having to change those massive dirty diapers (we called them diabolical poopies). Night training, getting up a few hours into their sleep and taking them to the toilet, I had to carry my dd from her room to the toilet 3 hours after she slept, she now wakes up on her own when she has to go and then goes back to sleep. Making them aware of their bodily functions, like when he poops his pants let him know "no poop does not belong in hour pants, when you be a big boy and poop in the toilet mommy will give you a reward". When he does use the potty, let him know what he's doing "good boy, that's how we pee/poop in the potty". Sometimes kids are afraid to poop because they feel like they are losing a part of their bodies (I had this problem with dd) letting them know that its ok and it takes all the bad stuff out, when they start encouraging them to push, this all helps.
The most important role in all of this is you, start being consistant mama! Good luck!

Quoting JanieJo:

I am sure it is a control issue. DS does the same things u say your daughter did. And I know that part of the problem is my consistency. I am not very tough and he usually gets what he wants. Besides DS, I have a 3 year old DD who is not quite potty trained either but she is interested.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you sure its not a control issue? I just recently potty trained my 3 year old, prior to these last few months I had been struggling with her since she was 20 months. I learnt her bowel movements and looked for the signs (she woould hide when she wanted to go) and she made the "pooping" face. It was also a control issue for her, she felt that peeing and pooping was the only thing she controlled and could get away with, so she took advantage of that and after I discovered all of that, I completely took away the diapers (even at bedtime) and took her everytime she would try to hide, she was fully toilet trained a week later. Its been 4 months and so far she's only had one accident when she was sleeping.

You told a commenter earlier that you gave him candy when he went, but that he demanded that you give him some even when he goes in his pants, did you give in to his requests? If so, you might have some control issues with him that need resolved.

JanieJo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM

He stayed with my mom this weekend and took a major step backwards and she put him in pull-ups.

Oddy_Knocky
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Good luck. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM

If your mom isnt going to be onboard i wouldnt send him there until he is done potty training Janie.

Quoting JanieJo:

He stayed with my mom this weekend and took a major step backwards and she put him in pull-ups.

JanieJo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I didn't have any chice this weekend Tammie because there really wasnt anybody else available. I thought she was on board with what I was doing but it was easier for her to just put him in a pull-up. He had been doing better at home with me

Quoting brettsmomma:

If your mom isnt going to be onboard i wouldnt send him there until he is done potty training Janie.

Quoting JanieJo:

lilbit53009
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM

i did the same exact thing with my son and it worked! in a week he was fully potty trained at 2

Quoting 1FlMom1:

I'd try bribery.  What worked for my kid was a chart on the bathroom wall.  Every time they went in the toilet they got a star sticker on their chart.  Ten stars in a row meant they got a new toy from the Dollar Tree. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM

your mom makes me so angry!! You do the right thing and she ruins it and sets you back but then is the first in line complaining that he isnt trained yet.. so sorry :(

Quoting JanieJo:

I didn't have any chice this weekend Tammie because there really wasnt anybody else available. I thought she was on board with what I was doing but it was easier for her to just put him in a pull-up. He had been doing better at home with me

Quoting brettsmomma:

Quoting JanieJo:

drdevault
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My x's dd would not got potty. Her mom didnt care to change her. She was so big that pullups were getting too small. She was almost 4.  I got tired of cleaning up after her I knew she could do it. And I know your story is kinda different with your son have delays. But I wanted to post what i did maybe it will help someone. When she pooped in her undies, I made her empty them in the potty and wash them out. Well you know put them in the water and rinse them out. After she had to do that once she never did it again. I know may be cruel but I had tried everything else. GOod luck momma.

JanieJo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM

It upsets me too since we moved she had been trying harder but now I know its just the same as it always is. Tammie, I dont know if he will be able to start school in the fall :(

Quoting brettsmomma:

your mom makes me so angry!! You do the right thing and she ruins it and sets you back but then is the first in line complaining that he isnt trained yet.. so sorry :(

Quoting JanieJo:

Quoting brettsmomma:

Quoting JanieJo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)