Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Very Important, please answer this poll. Have you ever been through a time when...

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you ever been in a situation where you were so broke that you stressed over buying tampons/pads/other sanitary items? Have you ever known anyone who has been in that situation?

Options:

I have been there

I personally know someone (in the US) who has been there

I have never been there, or known anyone who was THAT broke

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 65

View Results

If you are comfortable doing so, please share your story.

by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annas_momma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:11 PM
I haven't been there, but I know ppl who have
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spastic_poodle
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM
from 18-20 I was VERY poor. I could barely feed just myself. so yeah, buying personal products was frequently an issue.

honestly, I used to steal them and TP from the bathroom at work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BekkieBoodle
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:14 PM

the dollar store saved me a few times!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM

thats me- right now! granted, i have a job... my bank just fucked me over, so i'm moneyless for the next week. ugh... but i have no toothpaste, shampoo or conditioner and i'll be using DS's hair/body wash for myself this week (as well as his crappy tooth paste lol).

the dollar store cant even bail me outta this one! but it was my fault. i tried to pay my cellphone online, but it didnt work- so the bank 'credited' the money back into my account... so i pulled the money from my account (all of it to pay other bills too)- then the store billed my account again, so right now, i'm in the neg.. but as soon as it clears (which it should!), i'll be fine.. just wondering how long that'll take. ugh

(i kept in $60 in my account for 'emergency funds', but i put $90 on the phone. which overdrafted me by $30... some emergency fund! lol oh the irony!)

auroragold
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM

That stuff is EXPENSIVE and practically NEVER goes on sale!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:21 PM
Im livin in the dark without my dd b.c my lights got shut off. Thank god for angel tree giving her gifts b.c all my money an time is goin into getting lights on an her home with me...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RhondaVeggie
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:22 PM
When I was in college I was struggling to get by on £10 a week. If I had to make photocopies it usually meant skipping a meal and I learned how to hack one of the printers so I could save those few pennies on printing. A pack of pads cost about £3 which was a major expense considering my periods were quite heavy in those days so I'd make them last as long as I could. When I woke up in the morning for example I would try to the bathroom before that rush you get after standing up came out so it would be in the toilet and I could maybe use the pad for a couple of hours more. Some months I'd be lucky to have enough cash to buy a loaf of bread, a chunk of cheese, and a couple of cans of beans for the week after buying pads.
RADmomma
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Can you sew? I know alot of mommas who make their own pads...Mamma cloths... most use cloth/fabric that they already have...then you just wash them...

VannaMae307
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I made cloth panty liners. Washable, re-usable, and comfortable.

It's no more gross than cloth diapers!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Wadded up toilet paper or use an old washcloth you fold over a few times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN