Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Smoking mothers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I confess I have no respect for woman who smoke cigs while they are pregnant. It's pathetic and low class. I smoked 1 pack a day before my dd and quit the day I found out and same goes for my ds and I have not started up after quiting the second time. It causes huge problems in birth and EVERY baby born to this addiction suffers from the withdrawl after birth. Shame.

go ahead and lets see how you defend your ignorance. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2011 at 6:33 PM
Replies (111-119):
DaconosMommy
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I wasnt a smoker before I had my son. I actually didnt start smoking until my son was 3 than the day I found out I was pregnant w/ my daughter I quit smoking and started again when she was a mth old. She's 4 1/2 mths old now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Quoting JuliFox:

It's not about the smoke, it's about the chemicals that get into the mother's bloodstream via the smoking and are passed on to the baby that way.  I too was born to a smoker (my mom was exposed to my dad's smoking the whole time I was pregnant) and grew up with my dad and uncles smoking, and have had lung issues my whole life because of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

When I was expecting my oldest, there was guy at work whose wife was also expecting her first.  She smoked through her entire pregnancy specifically for the reason that she had heard babies of smokers were smaller, and she thought smaller baby would equal easier birth.  Boy, was she ever wrong.  And  the baby had lung issues.  I understand the addiction because my dad was a three-pack-a-day smoker.  But that baby is an individual person and it's not right to force those issues on them when they are not able to speak for themselves and ask you not to smoke.

You see, I do not believe smoking had anything to do with the baby's lung issues. When a person smokes, the smoke goes into thier lungs, blah blah blah you know the rest. It's bad for you. BUT is the unborn child inhaling the smoke into his/her lungs when the mother takes a drag? No.

As far as the wanting to have a smaller baby, that IS sad and wrong for that to be the reason a women continues to smoke.

This argument is right up my alley...

I get the whole chemical thing, that isn't what I was saying. I know the chemicals get to the baby's system but just because it's from cigarettes doesn't mean it will affect the lungs the most. It will affect the smokers lungs sure. But not the childs because he/she is not inhaling it. After birth yeah, don't freaking smoke around your kids that is stupid.

As far as what I meant by up my alley, my brother was born to a non-smoker and we found out he had lung cancer at 5 years old. Sure, he was around other family members every so often that smoked after he was born and that prob affected him a lot, but it had to of started in the womb because of how serious it got at such a young age, and my mother didn't smoke. My oldest brother had asthma when he was younger as well, also my mother didn't smoke with him either. So it only proves that things like that happen to non-smokers and smokers alike. It is only connected because you connected it, it doesn't mean it is true.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JuliFox:

It's not about the smoke, it's about the chemicals that get into the mother's bloodstream via the smoking and are passed on to the baby that way.  I too was born to a smoker (my mom was exposed to my dad's smoking the whole time I was pregnant) and grew up with my dad and uncles smoking, and have had lung issues my whole life because of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

When I was expecting my oldest, there was guy at work whose wife was also expecting her first.  She smoked through her entire pregnancy specifically for the reason that she had heard babies of smokers were smaller, and she thought smaller baby would equal easier birth.  Boy, was she ever wrong.  And  the baby had lung issues.  I understand the addiction because my dad was a three-pack-a-day smoker.  But that baby is an individual person and it's not right to force those issues on them when they are not able to speak for themselves and ask you not to smoke.

You see, I do not believe smoking had anything to do with the baby's lung issues. When a person smokes, the smoke goes into thier lungs, blah blah blah you know the rest. It's bad for you. BUT is the unborn child inhaling the smoke into his/her lungs when the mother takes a drag? No.

As far as the wanting to have a smaller baby, that IS sad and wrong for that to be the reason a women continues to smoke.

I get the whole chemical thing, that isn't what I was saying. I know the chemicals get to the baby's system but just because it's from cigarettes doesn't mean it will affect the lungs the most. It will affect the smokers lungs sure. But not the childs because he/she is not inhaling it. After birth yeah, don't freaking smoke around your kids that is stupid.

As far as what I meant by up my alley, my brother was born to a non-smoker and we found out he had lung cancer at 5 years old. Sure, he was around other family members every so often that smoked after he was born and that prob affected him a lot, but it had to of started in the womb because of how serious it got at such a young age, and my mother didn't smoke. My oldest brother had asthma when he was younger as well, also my mother didn't smoke with him either. So it only proves that things like that happen to non-smokers and smokers alike. It is only connected because you connected it, it doesn't mean it is true.

Well, nicotine restricts blood vessels, which reduces oxygen to a developing fetus, and then carbon monoxide that binds to red blood cells instead of oxygen further reduces oxygen to the baby, which can affect the baby's development.  And an underdeveloped baby usually has underdeveloped organs as well, like lungs, which can then lead to breathing problems once they are born and breathing on their own.  Seems pretty cut and dry to me.  

And yes,things happen to non-smokers as well as smokers, but smoking while pregnant significantly increases the risk of having problems such as an underdeveloped baby with underdeveloped lungs.  You are increasing the risk when you smoke, knowingly.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JuliFox:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, nicotine restricts blood vessels, which reduces oxygen to a developing fetus, and then carbon monoxide that binds to red blood cells instead of oxygen further reduces oxygen to the baby, which can affect the baby's development.  And an underdeveloped baby usually has underdeveloped organs as well, like lungs, which can then lead to breathing problems once they are born and breathing on their own.  Seems pretty cut and dry to me.  

And yes,things happen to non-smokers as well as smokers, but smoking while pregnant significantly increases the risk of having problems such as an underdeveloped baby with underdeveloped lungs.  You are increasing the risk when you smoke, knowingly.  

No one seems to be getting my point that none of this has been proven.

And what I was saying about the lungs is that it is a little cliche to say that if a baby is born with underdeveloped lungs, it means it was caused by a smoking mother.  If it was, you would also target other organs as well. This women thought she was making a point by reffering to the lungs, because it is common knowlege that smoking affects the lungs the most in a smoker, not a fetus.

I am done debating. I have made very clear points to why this is only a theory. But most people seem to want to stay closed minded because they don't like to see a pregnant women smoke, it grosses them out so all they want to do is judge and degrade her, when the fact probably is that she will grow to be a better mother than most.

You are set in your ways, I am set in mine, so lets just agree to disagree like adults do.

chunkyhoney78
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2011 at 8:10 PM
I seen this woman 2day smoking in her car With the windows up she had 3 small children from baby to 3 maybe 4 yrs old it made me mad I wanted to tell her stand out in the cold away from those babies and smoke those poor lil ones I feel for them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2012 at 4:52 AM

I'm 18 and Im pregnant. I was a pretty heavy smoker. When i found out i was having a child at 18 while the father does not care and I was already in my 6th or 7th month when i found out i was pregnant. Yea i smoked a ciggerette. I'v cut down to maybe 4 a day. Its hard when it was sprung up on me that i was pregnant. it was only the second guy iv been with and we used a condom as far as i know it didnt break it was are first time being sexually intimate. But some how im pregnant. Don't get me wrong im going to love my daughter to death. But hear and there I smoke a ciggerette to calm the stress i have i know this is no excuse but iv been threw alot and i feel guilty enough as it is but i just dont have the will power to quit completely and considering everone around me smokes 24/7 that doesnt help much either. so go ahead and pass judgement and feel disgusted because in the end i know what i do is wrong but not has wrong as a mother who kills her child cause it crys to much or smothing like that cause that is more wrong and disgusting then have 4 or 5 ciggerettes here and there.

Zacksmama82411
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 5:26 AM
i had quit before i found out i was pregnant with the chantix (i took it for 4 weeks not knowing i was pregnant, stopped taking it and then found out i was 6 weeks pregnant 3 days later....) i stayed smoke free for 4 months, but was incredibly stressed and massively bitchy, my nephew fell down an entire flight of stairs in our 2 family apt and i had a cig that night, then the next day someone very close to me passed away, which caused even more stress so i had another one, ended up having 4 a day and my dr said that 4 a day was better than all the cortisol i was sending to my bean, im still smoking and i know its horrible, but as soon as im done nursing im going back on the chantix, zack will be a year old, and i wont have to worry about him seeing me with it because he would have been too young

Quoting doomshroom:

I smoked a pack a day. When I found out I was pregnant, I quit entirely. That lasted for about 4 months. Then I'd sneak a hit or two here and there. I'm 37 weeks now, and I confess, I smoke about 3 cigarettes a day. I'm not justifying it, it's terrible and disgusting, and I feel guilty every time I light one. I know it's possible to quit, because I did it for a while.

I think what happened was, I quit when I found out, and battled with morning sickness until around 5 months. I thought "ugh, a cigarette would make me so sick right now..." well, something happened one day, I snuck a hit, and it didn't make me sick at all, so I snuck a few more, and we all know what happened next. Snowball effect.

I guess it didn't help to know that my grandmother smoked almost 2 packs a day with all 8 of her children and not one came prematurely or underweight. And, every woman I know with kids smoked during their pregnancies, with the exception of one. And I'm talking, a pack a day or more. So, me cutting down to 3 or 4 a day doesn't seem so bad. I know that's not a good excuse, but it made me feel less guilty.

BTW, I don't know why I'm explaining myself, because I really don't give a shit if you think I'm a terrible person.

PS. congrats on quitting. Good for you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zalia11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 5:49 AM
Women who smoke while pregnant are trash. If you cant give up your filthy habit for 9 months, for the sake of your baby, youre selfish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2012 at 6:04 AM
That is horrible! My uncle used to be a chain smoker (rest his soul), and one time as a very young child, I was sent on holiday with them and we drove down to the coast. It was a twelve hour drive, we were 4 kids in the back of the car.

My uncle smoked almost every second of the trip with all the windows CLOSED! I felt I was going to die, I swear. Eventually I tried hiding at the bottom of the seats with my head stuck under the front seats just to be able to breathe! I never went home with them and after that I refused to get into a car with him ever again. My dad had to fly to come get me! Afterwards I always felt so sorry for my 3 cousins that had to endure that every time they got into a car with him.

Quoting Randi02:

I agree with you :)

I feel the same way about those who smoke around children, especially while in the vehicle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)