Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i need some honest mom to mom and woman to woman advice on working

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

so for three years i stayed home and i loved it, but hubs got laid off and we needed mor money so i started working (this was back in july) im a bartender but after calling and applying at about 30 places still nothing everywhere is full, so i work as a server at chili's. the chili's i worked at burned down the past week and i was transferd to a chili's 45 mins from me = more gas. the past two nights iv only been on for 3 hrs and made $28 sat and $33 sun which isent bad BUT i have to pay th baby sitter $20 a day so in reality i only made$21 this weekend :/ and i spent $23 in gas which means i paid $2 to work...... 

my husband and fil suggested i just stop working and go back to being a sahm (hubs makes about $1,300 a week now that he was hired on as an employee froma contracter) but we have alot of debt so we are still struggling to get basic needs.

if i quit i have to give my car back to my fil (i was buying it from him since hubs car is manual and i dont like driving stick lol), which with hubs workign 7 days a week from 6am to 8pm he would have to take off work so we could do anything, groceries, or doctors everything, it would just be a big hassle. its so much easier now that i have a car. but i dont know if its worth it to keep working if im not really even making much

the short

keep working for little money and hope it picks up and keep the car

or

quit give back the car and stay home and deal with the stress of trying to scedual everything

im going to talk to my managers today about my situation, they are very proactive and very supportive (a 360 from my previous managers)

but what would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Replies (11-18):
NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I wouldnt work for $2.  But I wouldnt give up my car....

I would find a job closer to my house.  I dont know your area but there are server positions available here.  I cant imagine you have to drive so far for that!

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 12:38 PM

can your hubby carpool with a coworker maybe? thats what my hubby does 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2011 at 12:42 PM

we live out in the contry in the middle of no where and he works down town which on a good day is 1.5 hrs to work :P and everyone he works with live in the suronding area no where near us :/ otherwise that would be awesome

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

can your hubby carpool with a coworker maybe? thats what my hubby does 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM

my fil is selling this one for $11,000 and ive paid $1,500 so far as for saving its hard ebcasue we owe alot here and there and were trying to get it all paid off, we were debt free for 2 years until he got laid off and his dad helpd pay everything so now we owe him all of that, then we have morgate and all that. we havent even bought any thing for chirstmas yet

Quoting Cara5:

Why not keep working for a few more months and you and DH make your savings priority to squirle away 3k-5k bucks and buy yourself an collage car (LOL).  The quit and you wont have any car payments. 

TeddieS
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

well dear, it doesn't sound like you make enough to pay on the car as it is. Is there any way that your husband can make small payments to your fil, or can you maybe clean his house, or do some other bartering in order to keep the car?

I really think it is important for a sahm to have a car for her sense of freedom, and for emergencies.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Having a car is a plus can you maybe just get a low cost car like $1000-$2000 until your back on your feet. I have a nice car but I live out in bfe and the road where just killing my car so we went and got an older Yukon at least for winter. Kinda a hoopty but it  works. lol I can't not have a car, Even though I don't really go anywhere I get antsy with out one.

I quit working to be a SAHM and had to go back to work for almost a year in 07-08. I was in the same predicament when hubby went back to work.  but with gas, daycare and scrubs, buying prepackaged food for daycare ect. Some weeks I made $100 some weeks-- I payed to work ( depending on how many days kids went to daycare+ if I had to pay someone else if I worked saturday) My husband said for $100 a week, just stay home,

thirdmamma03
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM

wait a week or so and see if your hours pick up and yes, ask for more hours and tell your co-workers youll cover for them if they need time off.

TeddieS
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Well OP, have you thought of staying home and becoming a childcare provider yourself? You would sure make more money than you do now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)