Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is up with Waldorf?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM
  • 2 Replies

Waldorf schools are private schools that teach the waldorf method.  They seem really quaint.  They dont use technology and do "hand work" like knitting during the day.  I have my doubts about the method but the kids come from educated and well off parents.  You cant go wrong with that mix right? tuition is nearly 20k a year for most elementary schools in this system. 

I have several friends that send their children there.  The kids dont seem super smart to me, just average kids but damn! They all think they are so smart.  My kds are taught to smile and not try to prove them wrong, I too bite my lip and go along with it.  What gets me though is all of these kids are sore losers, to the point where they regularly cheat and lie to win.  Some of these kids arent even at the same waldorf schools.  WTF???   Its so bad that I wanted to know are they teaching something in that system?  Why are these kids all such jerks?

by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
deux_fleurs
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Hmmm... my daughter currently attends a Waldorf "inspired" nature immersion preschool and I can't say enough awesome things about it. Instead of being stuck indoors breathing stale air, rote learning of ABCs, etc. she is outside climbing, hiking, fishing, exploring, getting dirty and learning how to treat people with kindness, integrity, and respect. Yesterday at school she made homemade apple sauce from scratch, made a doll from a corn husk, and helped take care of a stranded baby bird a classmate discovered on a hike through the forest. I'll take that over most preschool programs any day.

The director of my daughter's program actually complained about the large Waldorf elementary/ high school we have here for some of the reasons you list above. As you mentioned, the tuition is astronomical and she said the student body tends to suffer from an entitlement complex that they learn form their parents. You will find that at almost any private school (trust me, I was a scholarship kid at an elite prep school so I get that). Mayeb the kids you know are "jerks" because of what is modeled at home?

Also, I think it is unfair to generalize something based on the actions of a few. My daughter often plays at a park shared by the local public elementary school and I am always amzed at how out of control, nasty, and bullying the kids are. I would never assume all public school kids are like this, however.

carrymemom
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I am about to send my contract in to a waldorf school that I have been looking at for 2 years now.  I am finally ready to do it because I really want my daughter to have the opportunity to play outdoors and discovery nature and the world around her for herself.  i kept going back and forth because I really do try to provide that at home and wondered if it was worthwhile to send her to school for that.  But I feel there is so much more she can get from being with other children in that setting and i really do think the children learn how to treat others with kindness and love because that is more the focus rather than the abcs.  It is interesting to hear what people do say about waldorf children as stated above because that is one of the things that held me back from making the decision to send my daughter the previous year I was worried what people might think.  I am glad I am past that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)