Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Since homeless people are so awful... I thought i would share my story...

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:28 AM
  • 31 Replies
3 moms liked this
I was homeless once with my kids... We lived at the salvation army and had to be out by 6 am every morning... I rode the city bus as much as possible and my kids were neat and clean no one even knew we were homeless... My ex husband had screwed up so bad we were evicted and i lost my job our car was repoed it was tough. Once my daughter who was 9 month old lost her socks and i had to steal a pair from walmart... I still get scared every time i think of that moment when i had to make that decision it was December and cold. The salvation army made us leave the premises so i couldnt get socks from anywhere else. I had been walking in walmart for hours just pacing my heart was pounding... I had that tingling feeling all over you know when you're just sure you're going to get caught but my girl needed socks... I couldnt take her out side in frigid temperatures with nothing on her feet... Finally i just took a pair... One of the most profound moments in my life... I Will never forget. That night i used someone's phone and asked my mom to take my children until i got on my feet. I was 19 with two kids and a husband who did nothing but hurt us. I made it my mission to never depend on a man again. Being homeless can happen to anyone. You never know who around you really had no control over their situation... I dont have much but i try to help people as much as possible because some of the people i met while i was homeless had just fell on hard times just like me. Yes there are always the ones that just let addictions overturn their lives but its not always what you See... I promise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firebird78
by Lilly's mom on Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:31 AM

i've been homless too. it was my husband me and my daughter......we 'lived' in his truck at a truck stop for a few days. we finally got into a women's shelter and things slowly worked out from there. 

mama2three717
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:40 AM

we were homeless too. Me, my df and our 3 kids. We moved across the country to be near my dad, he let us live in his house and he stayed at my grandma's house since he was always there anyways. She decided that we couldn't stay in his house anymore (she own's most of it) and called the shelter for us to make arrangements for us to move in... =(  My son didn't adjust well, at all but my girls were ok. So I sent my son to NM with my mom, because that's what was best for him and we stayed in the shelter. It ended up ending mine and df's relationship for about a year. We are now back together and doing well, back in PA, where we apparently should have stayed in the first place!

briellabee
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:41 AM
I'm so so sorry, mama. I can't even imagine what I'd do if my baby and I suddenly had no place to live. You are one strong woman and I respect you for sharing what must have been a hard story.

I feel so lucky for having a roof over our heads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZsMommy
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

3 years ago-Lost everything-Moved state to state to save our marriage-thought we had all the i's dotted n t's crossed before we left...Ended up with no job's no food and eventually savings ran out and no place to live. Were taken in for 3 months by someone in my husband's Army Reserve unit. That ended badly-the wife stole from us,made false accusations and were tossed out.Luckily that actually came as a blessing and forced us to move back to the town we left and ended up with a fantastic school district for our autistic daughter,a church we love attending,and finally employment in husband's area of expertise.2 years later we're slowly making our way back and are able to start giving back-But you're so right-it can happen to ANYONE at any stage of life.

Prior to being sheriff evicted,back in our home state we both had well paid jobs but we came across some bumps (office ho) in our marriage. When we left-husband had left job on his own,enrolled in a specialized school-we were "told" the school would help with job assistance,etc-turned out to be all lies...At the time we cashed in the 401K to move...But as I said-money ran out. So thank you for sharing your story. Prayers things continue to get better for your family.

punkrockpink
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:46 AM
I was homeless too. Hubs and I both got laid off at the same time. We qualified for PA, but it wasn't enough to cover our rent. We got back on our feet, but it took months. Now I work at a homeless shelter and have a chance to help others navigate the system and get self sufficient again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahfire
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:49 AM
Im sorry to hear about your situation, I do have compassion. In the other post I was really not knocking those who are or have been genuinely homeless, just those that pretend to be homeless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tth328
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:53 AM
Thank you for sharing your story. It gives me a new perspective as I've been lucky and had never experienced homelessness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briesmomisback
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 3:41 AM

Thank you all for sharing!!

LadyStork
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 3:49 AM

DH and I have come pretty close to being homeless and I pray it never happens. It must be so lonely and humiliating :(

Proud wife to Steven (1/25/2011) and mommy to Emerald (6/8/2008) and Connor (9/1/2011)

babymaycker
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 3:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Much respect and love for you.

Id break the law for my kids too.
I hold nothing against you but incredible respect.
You should be so proud.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)