Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want to go to church

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies

I was not raised religious at all but I have been wanting to go. I've been having a hard time finding a church. I grew up in the south and the few times I have been as a kid I went to a baptist. I really just want to go to a few and decide. I am just not sure what to wear. I know some websites that I have read say wear whatever but I would feel pretty silly if I was not dressed like everyone else. I was never one to dress up. So what kind of church do you go to and what do you wear?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pugsmuggler
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I am LDS, I swear nice shirts and skirts or a dress. Nothing super flashy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMom11
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:09 PM
I usually go to a Methodist church and to a contemporary service so just nice jeans and a nice top. I was always really worried about that too went I started going back, but it's really not a big deal.
mommyto2gr8ones
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I go to a non-denominational church and it depends on what mood I'm in as to what I wear.  I have been known to dress up and I've been known to wear regular pants, a regular shirt, and tennis shoes.  Our preacher almost always wears jeans so that might give away the fact that we have a very laid back atmosphere.  I would encourage you to wear whatever you want regardless.  If you walk into a church and recieve judgmental glares b/c you didn't wear the "right thing" then it might not be a good church to go to anyways.  ;)  I hope you find a wonderful church.

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I was raised Lutheran. The adults dressed up but the kids didn't, just wore school type clothes. Now I go to another Lutheran church, and it is much more casual. People seem to try dressing up, but don't always. I have seen people wear jeans and sweatshirts. No one judges too harshly. But standard fare, which is sort of in the middle, would be plain dress slacks (like black, gray or khaki) and a nice sweater or blouse. Medium heels or boots. Like something you'd wear to an office. If you don't like slacks, even a long skirt would be ok.

I know from being in Catholic churches frequently (friends and inlaws' churches) this also seems to be pretty much the same; and our Sunday School used to partner with an Episcopal church when I was a kid, and also pretty much the same.

I think there are some churches where you might want to dress differently. I believe Pentecostals require their women to wear modest, long skirts and wear their hair up.

You could always call the pastor/ preist/ minister and ask before you go.

Lovinglife2004
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:15 PM

I go to an ELCA lutheran church and there isn't much of a dress code.  My kids and I usually just wear jeans and a nice-ish shirt (plain t-shirt or sometimes a button-up shirt).

AdellesMom
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:20 PM
I'm COGIC...but, my church is more casual than the rest of the denomination!

I'll wear dresses, skirts, or suits to church. I even wear jeans, and pant suits.

Do you have a friend that you can go to church with?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2mylilgirlz
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:24 PM
I got to a baptist church...i wear dress, skirts, or dress pants..i can wear whatever i want jeans included and no one would think any different..thats a good church..they shouldnt judge u by what u wear. I hope u find the right church..maybe find a friend or family member to start going with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jambo4
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

I am LDS, I swear nice shirts and skirts or a dress. Nothing super flashy.

.... and TIME magazine gave it "religion of the year" wink mini 
I'm LDS too.  One thing I love about my church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), is that you can find one all over the world and it's the same.  If you move, you don't have to go "church shopping" all over again because there is one just like the one you left.  Insta-church family!  

LDS Amber

MsSpice
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I go to a Baptist church but have visited churches of other denominations as well.  The adults at most of the churches tended to dress up (suits for both men and women), but I think that a skirt and blouse will do just fine everywhere.  Most churches are now "come as you are" which means that your good as long as you are dressed modestly (i.e. no private parts hangin out.  LOL!).  Jeans and T shirts are also more than welcome in many churches.

Yellowlily333
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Great! :) I usually wear Jeans and a nicer top. Sometimes I get dressier..just because I like to do that sometimes. I am United Methodist. I hope you find a good fit for you soon! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN