Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want to go to church

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I was not raised religious at all but I have been wanting to go. I've been having a hard time finding a church. I grew up in the south and the few times I have been as a kid I went to a baptist. I really just want to go to a few and decide. I am just not sure what to wear. I know some websites that I have read say wear whatever but I would feel pretty silly if I was not dressed like everyone else. I was never one to dress up. So what kind of church do you go to and what do you wear?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Thank you everyone! :)

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2011 at 11:35 PM
I go to a nondenominatiol church which is the best imo. The name says it all 1st Bikers Church. Definately come as you are but there are still people who dress up who attend. Its not about what anyone wears :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Strawberry-
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm an atheist and I'm always naked.

wagners7
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2011 at 11:49 PM

You sound just like me.  Not raised particulary religious, went occassionally to a baptist church with the grandparents.  Was really kind of religion shy, felt awkward because I don't know enough.  We are finally going and have been since February.  A good friend of mine kept inviting us and we finally took her up on it.  The first time I went with her was actually to another church that her church was helping "get off the ground".  It was a really laid back environment.  People came in various states of dress.  Then I went to her church.  Still the same.  People really dress just how they want. Some days I dress up (For me that's black pants and a top, still comfortable shoes though) other days it's jeans and a sweater.  Just depends on what we are doing afterwards.  The church we have been attending as and Anglican church.  It seems very similar to Catholic(which is what my husband was raised).  We were married in a Baptist church.  Our church has really good music and I think that's why I like it so much.  Plus, we have very funny Reverands.  It makes it easier to attend, when it's not quiet so dry.  I have been to a few churches that really made me feel uncomfortable, so it's important to keep trying.  You will find one that fits.  Good luck

pinkysmommy720
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I am Apostolic.  I wear a nice skirt or denim skirt and blouse or polo. Hair up or down, depends on my mood. But we have people who go to my church that wear what they want, we don't judge.

Endo.girl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 1:08 AM
I love that about lds too and for the most part the people are very welcoming and don't care where you came from.

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

I am LDS, I swear nice shirts and skirts or a dress. Nothing super flashy.

.... and TIME magazine gave it "religion of the year" wink mini 
I'm LDS too.  One thing I love about my church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), is that you can find one all over the world and it's the same.  If you move, you don't have to go "church shopping" all over again because there is one just like the one you left.  Insta-church family!  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aydensmommy0406
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I attend the Lutheran Missouri synod church. I usually wear jeans and a nice shirt.

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 1:59 AM
I grew up in a lutheran church and always had to wear my sunday clothes. Mainly a dress. Then when i got confirmes i was allowed to wear what i wanted. Nice jeans ans top. But now i go to a non denom and we r laid back and wear whatever we like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aydensmommy0406
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Unless you are not LDS and tell them that you are not interested in becoming a member of their church then they basically tell you sorry.

I had 2 missionary girls come to my house a few times and as soon as I told them I am not interested in becoming a member of their church they told me they could no longer come.

Quoting Endo.girl:

I love that about lds too and for the most part the people are very welcoming and don't care where you came from.

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

I'm LDS too.  One thing I love about my church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), is that you can find one all over the world and it's the same.  If you move, you don't have to go "church shopping" all over again because there is one just like the one you left.  Insta-church family!  

*You can bomb the world into pieces but you cannot bomb the world into peace.
*Remember...Just going to church doesn't make you a
Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.
*And a church is NOT a museum of saints
but a hospital for sinners
Every saint has a PAST...
Every sinner has a FUTURE!
*Without sorrow there would be no compassion.
Pugsmuggler
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Why would you want them to keep coming if you're not interested? Sounds like they were being polite and respectful of your wishes...

Quoting aydensmommy0406:

Unless you are not LDS and tell them that you are not interested in becoming a member of their church then they basically tell you sorry.

I had 2 missionary girls come to my house a few times and as soon as I told them I am not interested in becoming a member of their church they told me they could no longer come.

Quoting Endo.girl:

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)