Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want to go to church

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I was not raised religious at all but I have been wanting to go. I've been having a hard time finding a church. I grew up in the south and the few times I have been as a kid I went to a baptist. I really just want to go to a few and decide. I am just not sure what to wear. I know some websites that I have read say wear whatever but I would feel pretty silly if I was not dressed like everyone else. I was never one to dress up. So what kind of church do you go to and what do you wear?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I am 35 and just decided the same thing. I looked online until I found a church that I would feel comfortable in. I emailed them and asked what I needed to do. They invited me to a few different services and told me to dress casually. I looked at the pics and this particular church has people in jeans. It is a non-denominational church, very active in the community. I am very excited. I plan on going to the service next week. Good luck!

charliebean
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I sometimes go to this really big Baptist church, it's really casual and even the pastor wears khakis and a polo. Most of the young-ish people just wear jeans and t-shirts, but the older people wear suits or blazers and pantsuits or sundresses with cardigans and stuff like that.

mrskelby
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I think it's FANTASTIC that you want to go to church.  :)  I attend a Free Methodist church and we're jeans and shirts kinda people.  Sure, some people dress up, but for the most part it's come as you are.  The church I attend is by no means a "mega-church", but we are fortunate to be able to broadcast our services online.  I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post those kinds of links on CM, so if you want to go to church from your own home sometime, then send me a message and I'll send you the link.  :)

RhondaVeggie
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Dress codes vary so much from pretty much anything goes to must be wearing a skirt and a head covering. Your best bet is to check out the congregation. Drive or walk by as people are going in to the service and check out what they're wearing. Remember that sometimes different services have different dress codes. One of the churches in my town requires skirts on women for the morning service but nice trousers are OK for the evening service, hats are required for all services.
Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I go to a non-denominational church and I love it! Sometimes I wear jeans, sometimes I get dressed up, it doesn't matter what you wear as God looks at your heart not your clothes.

Amyirene74
by Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I go to Cornerstone Church in Ames. It is non-demoninational but affiliates with the southern baptist convention. Our beliefs are old fashioned but we all dress pretty normal. I wear anything from a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt or t-shirt to a nice outfit.  I saw wear a pair of jeans and a nice sweater. That would go with just about any crowd. Remember, its not about fitting in, its about worshiping God. Good luck!!

mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 1:35 PM

my family is wiccan.  we dont go to church.

Good luck in finding a church that fits you momma

ferrellmt
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Quoting mommyto2gr8ones:

I go to a non-denominational church and it depends on what mood I'm in as to what I wear.  I have been known to dress up and I've been known to wear regular pants, a regular shirt, and tennis shoes.  Our preacher almost always wears jeans so that might give away the fact that we have a very laid back atmosphere.  I would encourage you to wear whatever you want regardless.  If you walk into a church and recieve judgmental glares b/c you didn't wear the "right thing" then it might not be a good church to go to anyways.  ;)  I hope you find a wonderful church.

me too..the bonly 'rule' would be to dress modestly: nothing super low cut or short mini skirts...be reasonable and you will be fine!

And you  know what..church can be awesome, and a great addition to your life;if you don't find the right fit, right away, keep hunting...and when the church fits you, it will feel so good. Happy Church shopping!

GirlWSlingshot
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I'm Anglican and I usually wear slacks with a sweater or a skirt and blouse (depending on the season). Some folks dress more casually, but I feel most comfortable dressing a little more formally than I do on a daily basis.

When I go to a new church (we've moved a lot and I don't always have access to Anglican churches) I dress very simply the first Sunday. I usually wear just a simple dress or semi-casual skirt and top if it's a non-denominational Christian church. Then you can adjust your outfit the next week if the church is dressier or more casual than you anticipated.

Don't stress about what to wear. God doesn't care, and no true Christian cares what you wear either, so long as you're there with good intentions.

aydensmommy0406
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Because I liked thier company and I was interested in what they had to say just not interested in becoming a member of their church. I am sure Jesus ministered to everyone not just those who followed him.

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

Why would you want them to keep coming if you're not interested? Sounds like they were being polite and respectful of your wishes...

Quoting aydensmommy0406:

Unless you are not LDS and tell them that you are not interested in becoming a member of their church then they basically tell you sorry.

I had 2 missionary girls come to my house a few times and as soon as I told them I am not interested in becoming a member of their church they told me they could no longer come.

Quoting Endo.girl:

I love that about lds too and for the most part the people are very welcoming and don't care where you came from.

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

I am LDS, I swear nice shirts and skirts or a dress. Nothing super flashy.

.... and TIME magazine gave it "religion of the year" wink mini 
I'm LDS too.  One thing I love about my church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), is that you can find one all over the world and it's the same.  If you move, you don't have to go "church shopping" all over again because there is one just like the one you left.  Insta-church family!  

*You can bomb the world into pieces but you cannot bomb the world into peace.
*Remember...Just going to church doesn't make you a
Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.
*And a church is NOT a museum of saints
but a hospital for sinners
Every saint has a PAST...
Every sinner has a FUTURE!
*Without sorrow there would be no compassion.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN