Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want to go to church

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I was not raised religious at all but I have been wanting to go. I've been having a hard time finding a church. I grew up in the south and the few times I have been as a kid I went to a baptist. I really just want to go to a few and decide. I am just not sure what to wear. I know some websites that I have read say wear whatever but I would feel pretty silly if I was not dressed like everyone else. I was never one to dress up. So what kind of church do you go to and what do you wear?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
Jambo4
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM

What kind of ministering were you wanting from them?  Companionship?  A friend?  I'm betting that they didn't drop you like a rock when you said you weren't interesting in joining, but they are missionaries and do have obligations to attend to.  Their number one role while they are on a mission is proclaiming the gospel.  They shared their message.  You weren't interested.  They respected that.  Do you know if they got transferred?  (that means moved to a different area).  They could have stopped coming because they were no longer assigned that area.  Missionary work (it's "work") has many facets.  They are supposed to put in so many hours making new contacts per week, as well as spending time with meeting with members, performing service, and so forth.  They keep a written record of this and give an accounting for their missionary work so it may not have been a choice on their parts.  They may have felt obligated to "move on".

I know.. it's a loss.  Missionaries are so great!  Their presence can be so nice.  They have such a nice glow about them.  It's sad to see them go.  We try to have them for dinner once a month.  They don't always have time though.

Quoting aydensmommy0406:

Because I liked thier company and I was interested in what they had to say just not interested in becoming a member of their church. I am sure Jesus ministered to everyone not just those who followed him.

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

Why would you want them to keep coming if you're not interested? Sounds like they were being polite and respectful of your wishes...

Quoting aydensmommy0406:

Unless you are not LDS and tell them that you are not interested in becoming a member of their church then they basically tell you sorry.

I had 2 missionary girls come to my house a few times and as soon as I told them I am not interested in becoming a member of their church they told me they could no longer come.

Quoting Endo.girl:

I love that about lds too and for the most part the people are very welcoming and don't care where you came from.

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

I am LDS, I swear nice shirts and skirts or a dress. Nothing super flashy.

.... and TIME magazine gave it "religion of the year" wink mini 
I'm LDS too.  One thing I love about my church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), is that you can find one all over the world and it's the same.  If you move, you don't have to go "church shopping" all over again because there is one just like the one you left.  Insta-church family!  

LDS Amber

XoXomommaXoXo
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 8:34 PM
I love my baptist church.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gods_Girl1979
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

i haven't a large wardrobe,or the money to buy one.and even if i had the money,i wouldn't buy one.I wear my jeans,a clean nice t-shirt or button up shirt.nothing fancy.just go as myself in what i wear everyday.

.Pagan.
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM

just go when church is let out and watch the people leave. then you can see what the majority of the people wear :) every church is different really on how formal or informal it gets.

armmommy
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I'm LDS. Wear a skirt longer than your knees and a non sleeveless top. If you try out our church talk to the missionaries and make sure you go to the investigator class. It's less intimidating and you get the basics instead of the full on lessons. If you've never been before I think you would be overwhelmed in the Gospel Principals class. If your husband goes with you slacks and a white shirt with a tie would be best but if he doesn't have that some people wear polo's and slacks. I have my daughter wear a dress. I do her dress shopping at Once Upon a Child because I don't want to spend more than $10 on a dress she's only going to wear for a few months. I have polo onesies and khakis for my son. If your kids are older than 18 months they can go in the nursery otherwise you have to keep them with you in your class. You can also check out mormon.org. Good Luck.

mydebbers
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 1:39 AM

business casual.  In the summer I wear dresses.

liz.1986
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:02 AM
I was raised in a non-denominational church. Really, wear whatever you're comfortable in. You're not there to impress anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugarfox72
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:20 AM
I go to a non denominational bible church, everyone dresses different at my church and we have over 1000 members. There are even people who wear work clothes because they go to work after. No one pays attention to what anyone is wearing. I was also worried about that when I first started going. Defiantly look around but I suggest finding a bible church the don't have an agenda behind their gospel except to preach the words of God and aren't backed by any other church so all the tithe stays with in the church and the church family. They just strictly preach from the one and only Holy Bible! Good luck hope you find what you are looking for! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cstroud710
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:24 AM
I have attended non-denominational (full gospel) and now I am baptist. Nothing too revealing. Usually black pants and a nice shirt or a dress. Some people even wear jeans with nice shirts. I wouldn't wear something that is too low cut. Or a short tight dress.
Lovemybaby42310
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I go to a non-denominational church and it just depends on how i feel. Ive gone in looking like i just walked off hollywood blvd, and ive also gone in looking like i didnt change out of my PJ's. Most churches unless its a super strict church (i would imagine) dont really care what your wearing, their just glad u came.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN