Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nasty mouth

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM
  • 13 Replies
Anyone else deal with this?

My 6 year old (yes, still having behavioral problems, still trying with him) has recently developed an awful attitude. Moreso than before if u can imagine that...

90% of what comes out of his mouth contains the words "idiot, stupid, jerk," etc. Literally, you'd think he'd grown up in a land of trash, it's ridiculous. and his most favorite saying, "that's not fair!" and "nobody is nice to me!" and "you're not being nice!"

So we've tried telling him we are being perfectly fair, and that people want to be nice to people who are nice to them, so if he's kind, others will be in return. No such luck so far.

So what do you all do for bad language? I get that it could be worse, and yes it's just words (like I'm not all hurt and dejected over being called stupid) but its unacceptable. Punishments don't seem to work well with him, or at least the ones I've tried.

So, any ideas? I always got my mouth washed out with soap, but that seems a bit much for my parenting style. And probably would have CPS knocking at my door, so any ideas are welcome :)

Thanks so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Take his tv,toys,etc away. just keep explaining what he did was wrong. Definately no soap in the mouth, bc nowadays soaps are loaded with toxins

lezgirl0109
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM

organic soap make from goats milk! No toxins lol. For everyword make him give you a toy (one that he plays with) Make HIM give it to you not just take it. It will seem more real that he is loosing it.

welcome spring.gifgay pride ribbonlesbiansgardeningironingwashing dishesdoing laundry

Admin-   Lesbians Raising Families         I Love My Life^^^^!!!

osubucksbaby
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Yeah, I won't... It would probably be effective but it's not my parenting style.

I feel bad taking away his toys and stuff, but I'm kinda at my breaking point.

If you've followed any of my other posts, he's a very aggressive child and extremely difficult to handle. Last night, he didn't want to go to bed so he ended up choking me almost to the point of passing out, and kicking me in the face and head, punching me in the lip, and bent my pinky finger backwards twice (I actually felt it snap once, but it's not broken or anything) and I can't just walk away from him because I have 2 other children (one shares a room with him) and he will attack them if I leave, so it's a really frustrating situation to say the least

Quoting Anonymous:

Take his tv,toys,etc away. just keep explaining what he did was wrong. Definately no soap in the mouth, bc nowadays soaps are loaded with toxins

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
osubucksbaby
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Lol off to whole foods!! Lol jk.

Hmm, that's a good idea. When do I give them back? And is it any toy? Or specific ones? Thank you for the idea

Quoting lezgirl0109:

organic soap make from goats milk! No toxins lol. For everyword make him give you a toy (one that he plays with) Make HIM give it to you not just take it. It will seem more real that he is loosing it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Love and logic great book
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM

OMG! no i havent followed any of your other post, but you definately need to get control before he gets worse. Does your DH help discipline?

Quoting osubucksbaby:

Yeah, I won't... It would probably be effective but it's not my parenting style.

If you've followed any of my other posts, he's a very aggressive child and extremely difficult to handle. Last night, he didn't want to go to bed so he ended up choking me almost to the point of passing out, and kicking me in the face and head, punching me in the lip, and bent my pinky finger backwards twice (I actually felt it snap once, but it's not broken or anything) and I can't just walk away from him because I have 2 other children (one shares a room with him) and he will attack them if I leave, so it's a really frustrating situation to say the least

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:24 PM

what does his therapist say?

lezgirl0109
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Start with his fav toys the ones that will impact more. Tell him he gets them back when he can go a week with out using bad words. It will help. Also no treats at all. No mcdonalds or anything special to him. If you take anytoy he wont care it needs to be ones he really likes and plays with. Also no TV if he likes watching shows. Cut down slowly so he is feeling the punishment. LIke watching his fav toys go "bye bye" time after time. 

Quoting osubucksbaby:

Lol off to whole foods!! Lol jk.

Hmm, that's a good idea. When do I give them back? And is it any toy? Or specific ones? Thank you for the idea

Quoting lezgirl0109:

welcome spring.gifgay pride ribbonlesbiansgardeningironingwashing dishesdoing laundry

Admin-   Lesbians Raising Families         I Love My Life^^^^!!!

bootifuldisastr
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I tell my kids that certain words aren't acceptable at home or anywhere for that matter. 

1.  Whatever, Shut up, I hate you, name calling etc.

I remind them they aren't allowed to say such things, they have to apologize and if they continue they will go to their rooms and KEEP going there until they get control of their mouths.

osubucksbaby
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I usually get, "you're being dramatic" or "we will sort it" type of response. I'm working on it...

Quoting Anonymous:

OMG! no i havent followed any of your other post, but you definately need to get control before he gets worse. Does your DH help discipline?

Quoting osubucksbaby:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured