Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mixed feelings about one of my nephews

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a confession.  I have mixed feelings about one of my nephews.  I love him and have been a part of his life ever since he was born.  He's 9 years old now and the problem is he brags alot about what he has to my children.  My 10 year old son is getting to the point where he doesn't even want to spend time with him.  My nephew is also selfish, which I can't stand.  My kids don't want him to come back to our house.  I love him, but I find myself not liking him when he acts that way.  I know I'm wrong and I don't want to feel that way.  Do any of you feel that way?  And what can I do so I don't feel that way?  He loves coming to my house.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-15):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM

If he loves coming to your house, maybe you can sit him down and go over house rules very clearly.  If he doesn't follow the rules, he can't come back for a two weeks/a month, whatever you choose.  I wouldn't make my ds spend time with someone he didn't like, even family, unless it was a holiday.

Also, I don't think it is wrong of you to dislike his behavior.  Family members shouldn't get a free pass to act like a jerk and expect everyone to still like them because they're family.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a confession.  I have mixed feelings about one of my nephews.  I love him and have been a part of his life ever since he was born.  He's 9 years old now and the problem is he brags alot about what he has to my children.  My 10 year old son is getting to the point where he doesn't even want to spend time with him.  My nephew is also selfish, which I can't stand.  My kids don't want him to come back to our house.  I love him, but I find myself not liking him when he acts that way.  I know I'm wrong and I don't want to feel that way.  Do any of you feel that way?  And what can I do so I don't feel that way?  He loves coming to my house.

Knightquester
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM

He sounds like a cousin of mine.  She was so spoiled and bratty, and annoying to be around that my brothers and I couldn't stand being around her.  My mom respected us and although she loved her niece she knew she was being raised differently and there was little she could do so less time was spent with that cousin.  As a teen she did some things I never wanted to nor was interested in doing, as an adult she's had her ups and downs I've been thankful not to be a part of.

Sometimes it's not a bad idea to listen to your children and let them distance themselves from what can later possibly become a bad influence during the years where your kids will be allowed more freedom and less supervision.

Radarma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Ride it out...family is always going to be family, and having been with my DH for 20 years, I too have seen a few nephews and nieces be born and grow to young adults. They go through stages and phases just like we did back then, but don't remember too much now, lol.

I recommend encouraging the PROPER behavior to him, and leading by example with your own son, in your nephew's presence.

I would not go out of your way to invite but I would make the best of the times he is there with you all.

And just tell your son that sometimes, even with family, we see examplesof how NOT to behave. And don't forget that there is a lesson there for your son as well, that of experiencing what it feels like to hang out with someone who is not all that considerate or generous.

godsgirl26
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Oh my gosh your Nephew sounds like one of my friends. she brags about everything its to the point where i cannot stand being around her. she even brag about her daughter having a pair of uggs LOL. she said her daughter lost some friends because she has uggs if i want to bust her bubble i could have told her my daughter been having uggs. i was thinking to myself like u have to be kidding me. i can brag about a lot of things i have but i dont no need to. When i get something new she always notice it. i cant stand when people do that.

BluEyedCrazy
by Christy Ann on Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

My nephews can be hard to handle, but when they are i my house they follow my rules. If they start bragging i tell them that isnt necessary, it is rude and unfair. Be logical, he is old enough. Tell him, you understand he is lucky to have what he has and he should be happy, but bragging is no way to make people like him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)