Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Edit-I'm prochoice-but I think IVF babies are hurting the gene pool...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 484 Replies
5 moms liked this
I support a woman's right to begin a family however she wishes but I had something pointed out to me the other day that made a lot of sense. When you concieve naturally, the BEST sperm(s) Is the one who
reaches the egg and gets in there. It's the strongest and best swimmer.
When IVF is done, I know the doctors weed out the worst sperm,
but what are the chances that out of millions, the doctor finds the best
one? I wonder if IVF and other fertility
treatments (as well as enviroment
and many other factors) have a hand
in the increase of things like serious
allergies in our children. Again, I
would never want to take this right away from a woman or want the
procedure taken away. This was just
a discussion I had with a couple friends, one a genticist, one who
works in a high risk OB office. Am I completely off track, or does this
make sense to some of you too?

ETA-thank you ladies for all these responses! I figured I would get a lot of comments, but I never thought it would be THIS MANY! I wanted to clarify my reasons for this post...

1. I have PCOS and before trying more drastic measures I wanted to see other people's honest opinions (which makes it somewhat ironic that I got several responses bashing me for having no idea what it's like walking in an infertile woman's shoes).
2. Simple curiosity
3. MY BIGGEST REASON-
I am a student and after the above mentioned conversation with friends, I chose to make this subject the focus of my Medical Ethics paper. I didn't mention this from the begining because I wanted the most honest opinions possible (and boy did I get them!). This is also the reason I used a somewhat inflammatory title (that many commentors didn't read beyond it seems...) I wanted to
generate a good response. This discussion has given me many good jumping off points to research further, from ethics of 'designer babies' to the concept of messing with human
natural selection, the issues surrounding human guinea pigs when we lack long term results, the limits of couples with infertility and a low income, and even the female emotional response to infertility. I thank you all. No screen names or any other identifying information will be given should I choose to make a quote.

The textbook on which this course is based is called

Medical Ethics by Gregory E. Pence and I highly reccomend it to everyone who is curious about modern medical ethics and classic cases that set our standards. It includes a lot of topics like IVF, the right to die, comas, abortion, and organ transplants. Here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0073407496/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1326538256&sr=8-1
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vibrant.Heart
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
It would make sense if the parents of the kids with serious allergies and genetic defects had the IVF. But, say nobody in my family had had IVF and my kid ended up with a fatal peanut allergy, how would that be explained? I don't really get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM
11 moms liked this

never thought of it that way, but i enjoy watching some of the moms go crazy after they read this. lol

MommySwag88
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

most women cant afford ivf and still have babies with allergies...i guess i am lost

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM
36 moms liked this
Here is how it hurts the human gene pool... natural selection is thrown out the window. People who should not reproduce and pass down weak genes are producing offspring. I'm not against IVF because what people do is not my business, but it is keeping genes alive that perhaps should not be passed down. I'm not talking about allergies, more serious things and especially issues that make natural reproduction difficult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YouLoseIWin
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM
22 moms liked this
So how do you explain children with special needs that were conceived naturally?

You are very narrow minded
bullemhead
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM
35 moms liked this

I disagree. A "strong" swimmer has nothing to do with genetics or genetic disorders. It just means it has a more survivable chance of making it to the egg and in IVF, the doctor places the sperm where it needs to go. DNA is DNA whether it's in a "swimmer" or not.

I do agree that we are seeing an increase in allergies and autoimmune disorders that have more to do with our environment as well as food additives, hormones, and pollution. I also think science has come a long way in identifying disorders far earlier than even 20 years ago so what sometimes seems like an increase in a particular disorder is actually improved diagnostics.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not really into eugenics or the slippery slope that leads there.
I see what you're saying but I don't ...agree... I guess. Its a non-issue for me.
:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpikedMango
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM
19 moms liked this
Thats a very hurtful thing to say for those who could only be blessed with a biological child via IVF...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vibrant.Heart
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I was trying to say. Lol

Quoting YouLoseIWin:

So how do you explain children with special needs that were conceived naturally?

You are very narrow minded
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM
6 moms liked this
Perhaps allergies were a bad example, I was trying to say something more along the lines of quickbooksworms statement. I am not at all closed minded-I am merely asking for opinions. I have zero data on this at all, it was just something that was presented to me and made me think and I wondered if others had the same or similiar concerns. Again, I would never ever want this technology taken away from women and I certainly don't blame women for wanting their own biological child and using IVF as a way to get there. It was simply a theory I had never considered and wondered about others thoughts on it. Again, I'm NOT saying I'm right, I'm just wondering.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN