Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog owners - why be rude?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM
  • 18 Replies
I'm just curious what it is about other people that own dogs that makes them rude. There are a couple of things, one of my biggest pet peeves has to be not picking up after their dog. It was an issue at our last place and it's an issue here. I don't get it. You (collective you not aimed at anyone here) live in a populated area and your dog is not in your own yard (we live in a townhouse so no one here has their own yard), you pick up after your dog.

I pick up after mine. Is it gross, sure, but so are a lot of things in life. I don't want to take my kids outside to play and step in dog crap. It's also a health hazard. Dogs can carry all sorts of nasties, some of them can be caught by humans.

The other thing. I was taking our puppy out for a walk today with my dd along. She's 5. She LOVES dogs. She will ask literally every person she sees who has one if she can per their dog. She did it today with a man with not one, but two dogs. He ignored her asking until she'd said it about 5 times then got snarky with her.

She says it very clearly so it's not a case of not hearing her. She keeps asking though thinking they havent heard her. And yet, of the people who don't want her petting their dog, every single one will ignore her. In the entire time she's been asking, two have replied and both times they were rude about it. The least they could do is NOT give a 5 year old attitude, and just simply tell her "Sorry, now isn't a good time", or something else to let her know the dog can't be petted. I'm trying to teach her to always ask first, so what is it teaching her when people just totally ignore her?

I just don't get why having an animal at the end of a leash gives the owner the right to throw common courtesy out the window.

This post wasn't aimed at anyone here, just a vent after our walk this morning.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nangel5
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Most likely it has nothing to do with the dog.  Many people are just not nice. You just wouldn't have known if he did not have a dog that your dd wanted to pet.  KWIM? 

Twinglemomi
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

In my area a lot of apartment complexes that allow dogs and some HOA groups are now using DNA swabbing. You have to pay a fee when you move in to have your dog swabbed, and then if they find someone isn't cleaning up after their dog they take a sample and send it off to the lab. If it's your dog you can be evicted or have a fine levied by the HOA.

I think it's a great idea. In an ideal world people would just take care of their animals, but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world and have to babysit those who think they are above the rules and common courtesy.

adorablenessx
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Even though I'm a dog owner

I have seen this every where I go, well used to live. Where I live now people jog/run/walk with poop bags on their leashes and its a much nicer area, and a lot of nicer people. My dog does not like other people and I always warn the children and parents that he is not friendly and he could bite and ask they do not touch my dog. Some people just don't care and its really sad, I always pick up my dog's doo doo and my so just laughs at me with my poop bags but theres no reason for it to be laying around in the middle of the street.

KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

There is some jackass in my neighborhood that does not pick up his dog crap. It's been on my lawn and driveway on occasion. I even saw one guy dump the dog crap down the sewer. I mean WTF!! People like that have NO RIGHT owning a dog.

rhope4
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Must be the area you live.  Here, people always respond with a yes or no when asked to pet a dog.  Like you said, some dogs aren't friendly or are afraid, and the owners around here don't mind sharing those facts in a nice manner.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Just the other day we were sitting at our kitchen table having pizza. My son likes to look outside so we had the blinds up.. this guy walking his dog stops directly in front of my window and the dog proceeds to crap. my son was asking why dogs poop outside when the guy looked right at us. We waved and he waved back..then left the pile of dog shit in my yard!!!!   How rude. If i wanted to shovel dog poop I would own a dog.

jessecutez
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I am a dog owner . To be honest my dog is a bitch she does bite when a lil kid asks or goes near her I say nicely I'm sry honey she's mean please dnt touch her only look
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aeonix
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I think the just being rude and not knowing before makes sense. I guess if you are rude you wouldn't change because of a dog.

DNA swabbing sounds good, in the last place we lived it was one owner in particular who wouldn't pick up after their dog.

We live in a nice suburb, but it's next to a big city. We encounter rudeness everywhere we go, sadly. :(
The dog poop thing is even worse because there are trash cans stocked with bags all over this complex. We carry our own but even if we ran out I know there is always one nearby.

I appreciate the good owners though. :)
Aeonix
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Quoting brettsmomma:

Just the other day we were sitting at our kitchen table having pizza. My son likes to look outside so we had the blinds up.. this guy walking his dog stops directly in front of my window and the dog proceeds to crap. my son was asking why dogs poop outside when the guy looked right at us. We waved and he waved back..then left the pile of dog shit in my yard!!!!   How rude. If i wanted to shovel dog poop I would own a dog.

Wow...I would have been soo pissed. Of course setting a good example means we can't go rub his nose in it but that's what I would have been tempted to do lol.
RhondaVeggie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM
I stick a couple of bags in my pocket whenever we go out. If I see a dog owner attempting to leave poop lying on the ground I say "oh, don't you have any more poop scooping bags? I have one you can use." Then I hold the bag out to them until they take it and scoop the poop. It's very rare to find someone who will try to defend their rude and slobbish behavior when politely confronted.

The rudest dog owner I have encountered around here had nothing to do with poop. I was walking along and noticed some broken glass on the pavement under the bridge where it's pretty shadowy. I didn't see it but rather discovered it by hearing it crunch under my feet. A moment later I passed a woman walking a yellow lab so I smiled and said hi and said "just so you know, there's a lot of broken glass on the sidewalk under the bridge." A normal person would have said thank you and been on their way but this woman was clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic because she got so offended. She started ranting about how she is perfectly capable of taking care of her dog and how dare I assume that she would let her dog walk on broken glass and balh, blah, blah. Total fruitcake.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)