• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • 34 Replies

Okay, I feel like I should make this anon, but since I already posted non anon on someone elses thread someone will call me out anyway.  This is in no way intended to hurt anyone's feelings. 

Okay, the phrase "I don't know how to clean" BAFFLES me.  I got some LENGTHY responses in another thread, but honesly I still can't grasp it.  Yes I grew up in a house where chores were mandatory.  So did all of my friends.  But lets say your parents were slobs...ok...what about when you went to your friends houses?  What about when you went to your grandparents house?  What about when you were in daycare or school?  Home Ec?  Your first job....almost every entry level position requires some cleaning up.  How do you really get to that stage in your life where you are finally on your own and can really say you don't know how to clean???  I kind of feel like it is an excuse.

Please don't bash me.  I am not necessarily bashing them I just don't understand it.  I am probably being dense because it is a foreign concept to me.  I admit, I don't get it.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Because it is easy to clean at your first job, they tell you how to do it, and it is much diff, than cleaning your own home.

I came from an extremely nasty home, and was the only one to clean MY room. My room was always the cleanest in the whole house. I only visited one friend's house that was always clean, but they did not "teach" me how to clean. My parents never taught me, no one did. Yes, my room was always clean, however as an adult in charge of an entire house it is difficult for me because I do not "know" how to clean.

kngarber
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Well may I ask what you don't know how to clean?  I mean you obviously know how to pick things up.  But did you not know what to use for dusting or how to use a vacuum?  I guess to me, because it is a natural part of my life since I was little, I don't know what there is to actually KNOW about cleaning.  Over the years I have picked up special tips to help with stubborn stains and things that make cleaning easier.  It seems like, even if you don't know how to clean, that you could learn it quickly.  It doesn't seem that at the point in your life you are a mother in your own home that you would still not know how to clean.  Or am I way off base?  And I am really just genuinely asking. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Because it is easy to clean at your first job, they tell you how to do it, and it is much diff, than cleaning your own home.

I came from an extremely nasty home, and was the only one to clean MY room. My room was always the cleanest in the whole house. I only visited one friend's house that was always clean, but they did not "teach" me how to clean. My parents never taught me, no one did. Yes, my room was always clean, however as an adult in charge of an entire house it is difficult for me because I do not "know" how to clean.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM

It is hard to explain, but I will try.

Yes, I know how to pick things up, vacuum, dishes, etc... However I do not "know" like the proper way to clean i.e. soaps to use, remove stains, mopping, smells. Also, since I was never "taught" to clean, it is really hard for me to find the time or motivation to clean. In no way is my house "clean" to anyone else's standards, but it is not disgustingly dirty to me.

It is really hard to explain.

Quoting kngarber:

Well may I ask what you don't know how to clean?  I mean you obviously know how to pick things up.  But did you not know what to use for dusting or how to use a vacuum?  I guess to me, because it is a natural part of my life since I was little, I don't know what there is to actually KNOW about cleaning.  Over the years I have picked up special tips to help with stubborn stains and things that make cleaning easier.  It seems like, even if you don't know how to clean, that you could learn it quickly.  It doesn't seem that at the point in your life you are a mother in your own home that you would still not know how to clean.  Or am I way off base?  And I am really just genuinely asking. 

Quoting Anonymous:

boo1985
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I in no way want to generalize. I think there is an aspect of organization that some people lack. It is difficult to keep a clean house if you are a naturally scattered unorganized person. Some people just are like that. I am the opposite. Everything in my house has a place and I have a routine. I think these things help. 

Travelagtmom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Idk, but this reminds me of a story my ex mil told. She grew up in a clean house, but they had a maid. After she got married and had her own place she decided to clean the bathroom floor. She knew that comet was a "bathroom" cleaner so she sprinkled it all over the floor and then proceded to go at the floor with a bucket of water and a scrub brush. Lmao. It took her like two days to get the grit cleaned up. Her husband had to show her how to clean and wash and iron. But she could cook! Lol. Cleaning is not a skill you have when you pop out of a vajayjay. Picking up is very different than cleaning and if you are never taught, you aren't going to know how to do it.
I taught all my kids, not just the girls. Thank goodness becusae my daughter-in-law had everything done for her till the day she got married. Lol. She is better now, but that first few months was dicey.
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM
It's not necessarily cleaning, but organizing that gets me. I can't do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Oh my gosh.  Comet on the floor...what a nightmare.  LOL!  I do remember we never had a dishwasher growing up, so when I moved in to my first place I made the HUGE mistake of filling the ENTIRE container for dishwasing soap with regular dish soap.  NEVER made that mistake again. 

Quoting Travelagtmom:

Idk, but this reminds me of a story my ex mil told. She grew up in a clean house, but they had a maid. After she got married and had her own place she decided to clean the bathroom floor. She knew that comet was a "bathroom" cleaner so she sprinkled it all over the floor and then proceded to go at the floor with a bucket of water and a scrub brush. Lmao. It took her like two days to get the grit cleaned up. Her husband had to show her how to clean and wash and iron. But she could cook! Lol. Cleaning is not a skill you have when you pop out of a vajayjay. Picking up is very different than cleaning and if you are never taught, you aren't going to know how to do it.
I taught all my kids, not just the girls. Thank goodness becusae my daughter-in-law had everything done for her till the day she got married. Lol. She is better now, but that first few months was dicey.

Travelagtmom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Quoting kngarber:

Exactly...not always intuitive. Lol.
lexa86
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM

when you buy a cleaning product- the label should tell you the proper way to use it... as for tricks/tips, those you pick up from friends, family and google :)

if you really need help and worry about your kids- use baking soda on everything you can get it to work on! its not just for cooking- awesome for cleanig and as its edible, you dont have to worry about your kids coming in contact with it. add it to laundry, scrub anything, it won't clog drains (actually good for them) so you can dump it without worries. sprinkle it in carpets before vacuuming for fresh smell- used in litter to fight odor... the list is forever! :)

Embers88
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM
I had to teach myself to clean. It's not only about not knowing what to use where... but time management is also a huge thing to figure out. If cleaning wasn't a big deal in your home growing up, then it's tough to figure out how to fit cleaning in when your schedule has always been filled with other things. Keeping an entire house together can be a very overwhelming thing when you were never taught how to do it. That's why I'm a huge fan of chores for children. It will only help them in the long run.

But now that I have taught myself... I am the CLEANING QUEEN! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)