• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you give your kids meds for adhd or anything mental youre a horrible mom

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
..yeah.what is it about the words mental ILLNESS people dont understand?

ILLNESS PEOPLE.ITS AN ILLNESS.if you had diabetes, you take insulin..if you have cancer, you go through chemo.....both of these are ILLNESSES.BOTH NEED MEDICINE.

adhd(not just plain hyperactivity), depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, alll of these are also ILLNESSES.most times they need medicine to help their illness.

I hate hearing people say mental illnesses are somethinh people need to be able to naturally control. sometimes they need meds.whats so hard to understand?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShyJen
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Exactly, people hate on what they dont understand. They are very small minded. Ive had depression off and on since I was 12, mental ILLNESS brought on by an abusive stepdad..  thanks alot to that asshole, im happy he's dead now

swesolek6
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you...=/

Quoting ShyJen:

Exactly, people hate on what they dont understand. They are very small minded. Ive had depression off and on since I was 12, mental ILLNESS brought on by an abusive stepdad..  thanks alot to that asshole, im happy he's dead now

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Strawberry-
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I love it when people tell me my Bipolar disorder and adhd isn't real. I would like for people to be able to see my mind just for 5 minutes, then they would change their minds.

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM
I hate it when someone tells me that my son being on meds for aggression is wrong. Yeah well if you have a 170lb 5'2" boy yelling at the top of his lungs while hitting himself all because he couldnt have something u medicate too. I tried dealing with his mood swings when he was younger. I had bevior specialsts multiple times over at the house to help and guide me. Nothing worked. It wasnt until he saw a psychristrist that said he has aggessive behavior disorder or something to that affect and prescribe something for him. So since the age of 5 he was medicated and i can manage his meltdowns and other behaviors he has..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swesolek6
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM
And I'm glad you have that option because it IS real.

Quoting Jamie1972:

I hate it when someone tells me that my son being on meds for aggression is wrong. Yeah well if you have a 170lb 5'2" boy yelling at the top of his lungs while hitting himself all because he couldnt have something u medicate too. I tried dealing with his mood swings when he was younger. I had bevior specialsts multiple times over at the house to help and guide me. Nothing worked. It wasnt until he saw a psychristrist that said he has aggessive behavior disorder or something to that affect and prescribe something for him. So since the age of 5 he was medicated and i can manage his meltdowns and other behaviors he has..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I just tell people that they can come live with me for a day or 2 and see how I am and my children are (I have a 2 1/2 year old with severe ADHD)....then they normally just quiet down.  But yes it's hard because they don't understand.  Just do what you think is best for your child.  That's what being a parent is all about.

mirabile_visu
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM

People should be free to do whatever they want without judgement, but we live in a country where everyone strives so hard to be better than everyone else. If someone's kid needs meds, then by all means..

My stance on medicine is just that after so long most medicines stop being so effective. 

Ber-Lynn
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM
I have heard this but honestly some people adults or children just need to be medicated. I love my mother but growing up with her was hard she is bi-polar but didn't get diagnosed until she was in her 40's and by then I was already out of the house. I love my mother but she needs to be medicated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM

in the 90's my mom gave my brother meds for ADHD and took him off right away cause he was a zombie or became very moody. She dosnt beleave in meds but back then it was diffrent. Now my brother is fine and hasnt took meds in years. My daugther is ADHD but i wont put her on meds at all i think she is fine the way she is she's just hyper...

mydebbers
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Actually its a disease and it doesnt just "poof " go away.  I hate when people say that too.  Ignorant uneducated people who think they know it all, cause they saw a documentary or read a pamphlet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)