Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bad checks and being arrested....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

I have a small business and we are going out of business.  We spoke to a bankruptcy attourney and he said to let any checks that were outstanding get returned, to sell anything that we could and to keep the money.  Then he said he can probably take care of all the checks and stuff when he files for the bankruptcy.  So this is what we did, now I have two different places saying that they are going to take warrants out on me for the bad checks.  Does this mean I can be arrested??  I just did what the lawyer said, we dont have enough to cover the checks, we barely have enough to pay the lawyer, IDK what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2012 at 6:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
saltyalley1227
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 6:05 AM
Yes, it's illegal to intentionally write checks you know are not valid. If they can prove probable cause it was you (which is typically very easy to do) then a warrant can be placed for your arrest. The charges will vary dependent on how much the checks are for, and how many you wrote in a particular city/jurisdiction and how much it adds up to. In my state (Michigan) if you wrote one over $200 it would be a felony, then you would get an additional "count" for each subsequent check you wrote in that city.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannyLouisiany
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 6:27 AM
lol yes. a warrant means you can be arrested. smh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angi07
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 6:29 AM
I would call your lawyer ASAP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 6:32 AM
Call your lawyer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2012 at 6:36 AM

You didn't technically write the check knowing it would be returned. I would let the lawyer know what happened and see what he says. Maybe see about a free consult with a new lawyer and ask them. 

heavenly1462
by Jessica on Jan. 26, 2012 at 6:41 AM
This

Quoting angi07:

I would call your lawyer ASAP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2cheesebug
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Yup, you will be arrested and have an arraignment set. Then depending on how much they were you could get anthing from a fine to time in jail.

I wrote a check for $2.00 over what i had in my account. i quit writing checks because my account was empty. A few months later i got a call from the bank saying i owe them for bounced checks (over $400) and that i need to call the gas station that i wrote the $30 check to because they were gonna go after me in court. I ended up getting picked up by the cops a few weeks later after getting no answer from the corporal office on how much i owed for the bounced check. I think i ended up paying around $1000 in fines, plus i had to turn around and pay the bank off. I spent a half an hour in jail. (Never made it to the cell though, SO bailed me out before they were done finger printing me. )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN