Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cheap food

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM
  • 5 Replies
Bannanas
Oatmeal
Peanut butter
Cereal
What else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM

mac&cheese

apples

bread

mydebbers
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM

rice, flour, sugar, beans, soup, veggies, fruit

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Chicken legs and thighs are incredibly cheap. Even if you go boneless they're still dirt cheap.

Rice. Instant rice isn't as cheap as the long cook rice.

Beans.

Frozen veggies. Get the cheap brand. You can get a rather large bag for 75 cents. They're much healthier than canned.

Bread isn't cheap. You can make it at home for about 1/3rd of the cost the store will charge.

Cereal is actually one of the most overpriced items in any store. If you're looking for breakfast, I'd go with a hot cereal. More filling and much cheaper per ounce.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather644
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Cereal. 4 dollars for 25 servings on the big box of frosted flakes doesnt seem expensive. 16 cents a bowl

Quoting Anonymous:

Chicken legs and thighs are incredibly cheap. Even if you go boneless they're still dirt cheap.

Beans.

Frozen veggies. Get the cheap brand. You can get a rather large bag for 75 cents. They're much healthier than canned.

Bread isn't cheap. You can make it at home for about 1/3rd of the cost the store will charge.

Cereal is actually one of the most overpriced items in any store. If you're looking for breakfast, I'd go with a hot cereal. More filling and much cheaper per ounce.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Razelda
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I highly doubt many people actually use the servings and are satisfied. I know no one would be, not even my 2 1/2 year old.

Anything thats processed like that is going to be very expensive per serving and not leaving you with a full sensation. Stick to grains, veggies, meats, beans. There are cheap ways to do this AND it's actually fairly healthy.

Plus, a serving of something rarely equates a full meal. A serving of a vegetable is not a full meal. A serving of meat is not a full meal. A bowl of cereal is NOT a full meal. It's a partial meal. A bowl of beans and rice will likely cost the same amount as that box of cereal, but you'll be more satisfied and you'll get many more meals out of it in the long run.

Quoting heather644:

Cereal. 4 dollars for 25 servings on the big box of frosted flakes doesnt seem expensive. 16 cents a bowl

Quoting Anonymous:

Beans.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN