I am a professional genealogist... ask ME anything! UPDATE 2
But, exactly what the title says. I am a genealogist, and I've been certified as a professional since 2006. I started my own business in 2009, and have been taking genealogy clients full time from home since March 2011.
(For those of you that don't know, a genealogist is a family historian and researcher. Most people do their own research online using specific web sites. I just happen to do work for other people and make a good living that way.)
And, anon for good measure :)
Though, I'm sure it isn't difficult to figure out who I am if you've seen me in other groups.
I just noticed that someone has found this post, and more questions have been added. I just had a baby and am still recovering from the c-section, so I may be slow in getting to your questions, but I promise I will get to all of them as soon as I can!
**UPDATE 2- 3/6/2013**
There are so many replies now, that it's difficult for everyone to read through them all. I will answer some of the common questions here, to help out.
1. I am NOT a gynecologist! I do not examine lady parts from my home lol
2. My fee schedule is on page 3. It's pretty universal, but some of it is negotiable.
3. I try to avoid finding living relatives, because sometimes they don't want to be found, and things can get messy. I have had many more negative reactions with the living than positive ones, but sometimes have huge success. It's a risk I try to avoid when I can.
4. I specialize in the mid-Atlantic states, but have done research in many states and countries.
5. I do a lot of volunteer work because of my love for what I do. I very much enjoy your questions and requests, so keep them coming! I will continue to help everyone that I can.