Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am a professional genealogist... ask ME anything! UPDATE 2

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 585 Replies
6 moms liked this
Never done one of these posts before.

But, exactly what the title says. I am a genealogist, and I've been certified as a professional since 2006. I started my own business in 2009, and have been taking genealogy clients full time from home since March 2011.

(For those of you that don't know, a genealogist is a family historian and researcher. Most people do their own research online using specific web sites. I just happen to do work for other people and make a good living that way.)

And, anon for good measure :)

Though, I'm sure it isn't difficult to figure out who I am if you've seen me in other groups.

**UPDATE**
I just noticed that someone has found this post, and more questions have been added. I just had a baby and am still recovering from the c-section, so I may be slow in getting to your questions, but I promise I will get to all of them as soon as I can!

**UPDATE 2- 3/6/2013**
There are so many replies now, that it's difficult for everyone to read through them all. I will answer some of the common questions here, to help out.

1. I am NOT a gynecologist! I do not examine lady parts from my home lol

2. My fee schedule is on page 3. It's pretty universal, but some of it is negotiable.

3. I try to avoid finding living relatives, because sometimes they don't want to be found, and things can get messy. I have had many more negative reactions with the living than positive ones, but sometimes have huge success. It's a risk I try to avoid when I can.

4. I specialize in the mid-Atlantic states, but have done research in many states and countries.

5. I do a lot of volunteer work because of my love for what I do. I very much enjoy your questions and requests, so keep them coming! I will continue to help everyone that I can.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LowryCuisine
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Way cool. I did the ancestry free for a month but had the hardest time doing it since no one in my family has ever told the damn truth. LOL, I tried finding family through my last name and found out no one knows who my Mom's real father is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Quoting LowryCuisine:

Way cool. I did the ancestry free for a month but had the hardest time doing it since no one in my family has ever told the damn truth. LOL, I tried finding family through my last name and found out no one knows who my Mom's real father is.

That happens all the time. I have done tons of research on my own lines over the years, and sometimes it takes years and years to sort through the lies and misconceptions and the fabricated family stories.
Eco_Momma
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM

that is awesome! I've researched my family pretty far back but have been getting stuck.  Where can I look to go back father?

LowryCuisine
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I have come to terms with the idea that the women in my family can't admit they were *coughs* whores. LOL. But if I go off the name of my mom's 'father' figure' then I may have traced part of my family back to England, and have had a family member in each US war and survived.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LowryCuisine:

That happens all the time. I have done tons of research on my own lines over the years, and sometimes it takes years and years to sort through the lies and misconceptions and the fabricated family stories.

annaica
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Can you trace to Adam and Eve?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amybelle
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM
3 moms liked this

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM
That is really cool. My mom has been researching our history and found out our ancestors are 6th generation Irish, and my great aunt times 5 I think was the first female Dr in Nebraska and we are related to King Richard the 14th I think. Hard for my dads side bc everyone died young and my dad is lost in his own mind, but for the most part they are Cherokee Native American.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Quoting Eco_Momma:

that is awesome! I've researched my family pretty far back but have been getting stuck.  Where can I look to go back father?

That depends. Where have you already looked? Where is your family based? (State, country, etc...) What religion were they?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Quoting annaica:

Can you trace to Adam and Eve?

No. At least, I haven't ever been able to. Though there are many, many people who claim they've traced their lineage that far, or say, to Henry VIII or Napoleon or who knows what else. Unless they've been doing it for years and years and years, they're very likely copying someone else's work, and it's very likely that it's incorrect.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

That is really cool. My mom has been researching our history and found out our ancestors are 6th generation Irish, and my great aunt times 5 I think was the first female Dr in Nebraska and we are related to King Richard the 14th I think. Hard for my dads side bc everyone died young and my dad is lost in his own mind, but for the most part they are Cherokee Native American.

That's absolutely fascinating. My family have been here since 1738, and I don't have a drop of native american blood in me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)