Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am a professional genealogist... ask ME anything! UPDATE 2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Never done one of these posts before.

But, exactly what the title says. I am a genealogist, and I've been certified as a professional since 2006. I started my own business in 2009, and have been taking genealogy clients full time from home since March 2011.

(For those of you that don't know, a genealogist is a family historian and researcher. Most people do their own research online using specific web sites. I just happen to do work for other people and make a good living that way.)

And, anon for good measure :)

Though, I'm sure it isn't difficult to figure out who I am if you've seen me in other groups.

**UPDATE**
I just noticed that someone has found this post, and more questions have been added. I just had a baby and am still recovering from the c-section, so I may be slow in getting to your questions, but I promise I will get to all of them as soon as I can!

**UPDATE 2- 3/6/2013**
There are so many replies now, that it's difficult for everyone to read through them all. I will answer some of the common questions here, to help out.

1. I am NOT a gynecologist! I do not examine lady parts from my home lol

2. My fee schedule is on page 3. It's pretty universal, but some of it is negotiable.

3. I try to avoid finding living relatives, because sometimes they don't want to be found, and things can get messy. I have had many more negative reactions with the living than positive ones, but sometimes have huge success. It's a risk I try to avoid when I can.

4. I specialize in the mid-Atlantic states, but have done research in many states and countries.

5. I do a lot of volunteer work because of my love for what I do. I very much enjoy your questions and requests, so keep them coming! I will continue to help everyone that I can.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Replies (581-585):
SwtSnowflake2
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Can you PM me your info? My dad might want to use your services about Someone from NY. (Not living).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mizuagi
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM
My fathers last name is Pasillas and Carrillo. My mother's is Talamante and Acuna. I grew up in Phoenix. I know both my parents had family that grew up in Yuma.

Quoting Anonymous:

We live in Pennsylvania, but he has his parents and cousins running around down there, gathering records. We both grew up in Yuma, Brawley, and El Centro. What are your surnames? I wonder if you have any relation to him?

Quoting Mizuagi:

That is weird! haha. Same thing for my parents.. and they grew up in San Luis and married there.

So, do I have to be there to find any info then?

Quoting Anonymous:

You're kidding! I think you and he may be related. His father's family is from Zacatecas, and his mom's family is from Sonora, Hermosillo, and San Luis.

There is a lot that you won't be able to do unless you're in the area. The records are being input into family search, but it's going very slowly.

Quoting Mizuagi:

My father was born in Zacatecas and my mother in Baja California. My mothers mom was born in Hermosillo and that is as far as I know.

How did your husband begin his research? I would just love to find out more on my family. It's something my brother and I have always wanted to do and have tried a few time but haven't gotten far.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, Mexico has lots available, depending on the area. (There was a lot lousy in the revolution, though) My husband is a first generation American. Both of his parents were born in Mexico, and he's done lots of research there. What part of Mexico are your family from?
Quoting Mizuagi:

That's so awesome. What made you go into this line of work?

I've tried doing the ancestry.com thing before and pretty much have gotten nowhere. My parents were both born in Mexico- would there be any sort of "records" trying to trace my family back or is it only for families that have been living here in the U.S. for centuries?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Pmd you

Quoting SwtSnowflake2:

Can you PM me your info? My dad might want to use your services about Someone from NY. (Not living).
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Whoa. I believe it happens more often than people would like to think. What types of records are we talking about?

Quoting Anonymous:

how would you go about getting documentation for something when the goverment entity tells you that it doesnt exist, or was lost in a fire?  ... even though you know it does because you have personally seen it, after the fire that supposedly destroyed it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM

specifically a marriage certificate and a birth certificate from the early 1800s

Quoting Anonymous:

Whoa. I believe it happens more often than people would like to think. What types of records are we talking about?

Quoting Anonymous:

how would you go about getting documentation for something when the goverment entity tells you that it doesnt exist, or was lost in a fire?  ... even though you know it does because you have personally seen it, after the fire that supposedly destroyed it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)