Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How far back can you remember things?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Me and my mom were talking last night and now I'm curious. At what age can you remember things? Like for me I can't remember a lot before I was like an early teen. I remember the bad stuff but that's it (I was abused starting at about 10 or 11 I can't remember exactly). However my mom says that's not normal she can remember farther back and she thinks bc I was so traumatized that's y I can't remember. Just an FYI my parents are divorced and my dad took us from my mom and she didnt have contact with us for a few yrs so there was nothing she could do she didnt even know what was happening.

Also when I say remember things I mean other family members or trips or things like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Replies (41-47):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Oh wow I can't believe she left u :(

Quoting soon2bemomof307:

She left us there with him. She was gone for 17 years. I found her when I was 20. We still aren't close. I still have some anger toward her.

Quoting Anonymous:

She left u there?? Or did she take u with her?

Quoting soon2bemomof307:

About 3. I remember my dad beating my mom, her leaving and not coming back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Oh wow I didnt know that. Thanks I'll check into it.

Quoting kirs181:

It may seem odd but if your interested in some type of counseling check with the colleges. Students need to get their "practice" and it's usually free and instructor supervised. When I was in college I had two different clients that I worked with. They would come to the college and I would meet with them for about 45mins once or twice a week and my instructor would check in at the beginning and end. He would monitor my notes and taped sessions and help guide me through if i needed it to be sure things went correctly. The biggest difference was that no medication could be prescribed and if my instructor thought it was nesacarry he would refer them on to someone else. If your comfortable with the situation it could be very bennificial to you.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know I should and I want to but don't really have the $$ right now. Hopefully someday.

Quoting kirs181:

I can remember my parents wedding and moving across the country that all happened when I was about 2 going on 3. Maybe you should try some counseling, it's normal to suppress memories after a traumatic life event but IMO should be dealt with at some point.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vkelly2011
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM
I only remember like as far back as 8th grade. I've been out of school for only 2 years. Before 8th grade I have a few memories but not many. I think its due to the stress I dealt with from 4th grade to 7th grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I remember very few things from when I was way young. My earliest memory would have to be around 3. I was also abused. I start to remember more things around 5th grade and up. The older I get the more I remember. 

CadesMum
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Age two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM

My son has told me things too that happened when he was 1 and 2 yrs old.

Its amazing. and funny as hell sometimes.

Quoting bmw29:

My son is like that. He has memories that start at about 2 months old. It's freaky as hell.

Quoting SnapIt:

I remember a lot from the age of 4, but I think it went back as far as 3 yrs old and maybe before that.

I was just talking to my sister the other day when we saw a picture of something. I said wow that looks like a baby mobile. But I don't remember who had it though. But it's a lil different (the one in the picture)

She asked me, what did it look like? I told her they were different colored birds and the birds were made of a shiny plastic material and stuffed like lil pillows. She said, NO WAY! I said yeah why? She told me that was my baby mobile. My mom didnt keep it for me to have seen it when i was older. And my sister is older than me and she remembers the baby mobile. So if it's correct of what I remember, that goes back further than 2 or up til 2 yrs old

Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Me too! I think it's embarrassing. Lol, I was such a dork. The things I said and thought were funny, were so not.

Quoting Scarlettsecret:

I can remember things as far back as 3... I even remember some of the things I was thinking at 3 years old... Its kinda cool!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)