Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How far back can you remember things?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Me and my mom were talking last night and now I'm curious. At what age can you remember things? Like for me I can't remember a lot before I was like an early teen. I remember the bad stuff but that's it (I was abused starting at about 10 or 11 I can't remember exactly). However my mom says that's not normal she can remember farther back and she thinks bc I was so traumatized that's y I can't remember. Just an FYI my parents are divorced and my dad took us from my mom and she didnt have contact with us for a few yrs so there was nothing she could do she didnt even know what was happening.

Also when I say remember things I mean other family members or trips or things like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
kirs181
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM
I can remember my parents wedding and moving across the country that all happened when I was about 2 going on 3. Maybe you should try some counseling, it's normal to suppress memories after a traumatic life event but IMO should be dealt with at some point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM
My son is like that. He has memories that start at about 2 months old. It's freaky as hell.

Quoting SnapIt:

I remember a lot from the age of 4, but I think it went back as far as 3 yrs old and maybe before that.

I was just talking to my sister the other day when we saw a picture of something. I said wow that looks like a baby mobile. But I don't remember who had it though. But it's a lil different (the one in the picture)

She asked me, what did it look like? I told her they were different colored birds and the birds were made of a shiny plastic material and stuffed like lil pillows. She said, NO WAY! I said yeah why? She told me that was my baby mobile. My mom didnt keep it for me to have seen it when i was older. And my sister is older than me and she remembers the baby mobile. So if it's correct of what I remember, that goes back further than 2 or up til 2 yrs old

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemygirls4evr
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Lord I have a hard time remembering yesterday!!! What I do remember from my childhood is all bad, but then again my childhood was rough! I know around five, cause I remember the damn crawling doll I begged for and got for Chrismas and that Valentines (my first at school) my mom and dad sitting down with me and us reading all the cards. I  guess I remember that because that was about the last time my dad was in my life.

LCG83
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Seriously like to 1-2yo. I blow my mom away with what I remember. My long term memory is,awesome...short term however is so horrible it's SCARY. I always just tell people that they can tell me something now and in 10 years I will remember it. lololol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Embers88
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I remember things about my grandmother that passed away before I turned 3. Things like... She liked frogs, she always kept tomatoes in her window sills, the button on her seat belt buckle in her car was red, she collected buttons and let me play with them, and she always put plastic bags over our shoes when we played in the snow. I remember her enough to miss her. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM
I know I should and I want to but don't really have the $$ right now. Hopefully someday.

Quoting kirs181:

I can remember my parents wedding and moving across the country that all happened when I was about 2 going on 3. Maybe you should try some counseling, it's normal to suppress memories after a traumatic life event but IMO should be dealt with at some point.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bemomof307
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM
About 3. I remember my dad beating my mom, her leaving and not coming back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Toxic.Stardust
1 mom liked this
My first memory was when I was 22 months and my dad took me to the hospital to see my new baby sister
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jvd1709

Same!

Quoting Scarlettsecret:

I can remember things as far back as 3... I even remember some of the things I was thinking at 3 years old... Its kinda cool!

ilayframe

I remember a few things starting from the age of 3.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)